Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Looking For Solutions To Prevent Booster Pump Cavitation From 3 Phase

separator condy water level interface gauge booster pump cavitation

7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 LucaD

LucaD

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 11:06 AM

Hello, 

I am working on a project where I have Condy/Water/Gas being sent to 3-phase separator. 
The Gas can be ignored here as it isn't presenting problems.
Condy was initially being sent to separator tanks but In order to meet D60 venting requirements it is now being sent to a sales line with water from the boot. (I will attach a photo of system for reference.) 
IT has been confirmed the pipeline can handle the mixture of the water/condy so long as  they are both metered prior to reinjection to pipeline. 

Client is adamant on using a plunger pump that currently exists on site to save costs and as such we require a booster pump to provide NPSHr to the plunger pump. 

When I did some preliminary hydraulic calcs, i noticed from line losses alone that the pump NPSHa is ~2.7 ft with no safety margin. The water has sufficient static head, however the condy does not and there are meters, CV's and a basket strainer which will all eat away at the required NPSHa. The senior process engineer has agreed we will have cavitation. 

Is it possible to control the downstream plunger pump from the separator's level transmitter, and install a interface level gauge? 

There is not much that can be done and client does not want to spend more money on a vertical submersible pump. 

Hands tied, ideas low. 

Any help is appreciated. 

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 12:54 PM

It would help to know volumes. As well as pressures? And the photo?

Bobby

#3 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 05:37 PM

Consider if cooling the suction fluid will increase NPSHa.

Condy is not one of my words so I looked up what I think is the meaning:
Definition of condy's fluid
chiefly British
: a common household disinfectant consisting essentially of an aqueous solution of a permanganate

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 06:14 AM

Hi,

As suggested provide detailed information : PId, isometrics, pump and fluid characteristics  (P,T , density , viscosity)  and calculation sheet to get a proper answer .

Are you sure about your NPSHa calculation ? what is the pressure inside your separator ?

Why do you think a booster pump will be an option  ? to me very weird . 

Note : We are not wizard , please use proper engineering word for us to better understand your process . Condy? does it mean condensate ?

Good luck

Breizh 

#5 LucaD

LucaD

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 02:44 PM

Hi everybody! 

Sorry I'm not sure why the photo didn't attach initially. Appreciate the feedback. 

First off, apologies not using the full terminology. Condy= Condensate C6+ in this case is what this material stream is comprised of. 

The booster pump (requiring 2 ft NPSHr) was simply to provide enough NPSHr to the plunger pump which requires 10 ft.

However, the booster pump will not have enough pressure drop. 

Original Pressure (Operating Pressure)  was 160 psig.  Line losses for the Produced Water were 0.942 psi, and for the Hydrocarbon condensate line 0.318 psi. 

The water's available head is 398 ft, however looking at the condensate's it was 2.05 ft. This provides no margin of NPSHa for the booster pump. 

#6 LucaD

LucaD

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 02:44 PM

It isn't letting me upload a image file. DO i need to purchase some sort of membership to to do that? 

#7 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 02:47 PM

Luca, click on "More Reply Options" beside the Post button.  That will take you to an environment with more options.  Then use the Attach File functionality under the text window to attach the picture.  You don't need to purchase anything.  It's free.

#8 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 02:51 PM

See.

Attached Files