Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hysys - Bullet Tank Make Up Gas

hysys blanket gas pressure vessel api 2000

16 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 charlesivor

charlesivor

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 October 2022 - 06:59 PM

Greetings to all

I am trying to model a simple truck loading facility in hysys and continue to struggle.

The system is fairly simple.  Trucks discharge into a bullet tank.  The product is then injected into a crude oil pipeline.

This is an existing system the client is experiencing issues with.

System details

Product - Stabilized Condensate

VP = 9.64

SG = .66

IC4 - 0.084% (mol%)

NC4 - 1.221%

IC5 - 17.930%

NC5 - 20.33%

C6+ - 60.43%

P-1102 is a vertical can pump TDH = 1186 @ 100gpm. (32hp)

V-1000

Diameter - 10.83 ft

Length - 123.5 ft

MAWP - 202 psig

PCV-1103 is used to recycle product back to tank and to maintain min critical flow.

Currently there is no nitrogen pad on the tank.  This is the primary reason for the current issues.  

I was able to model the process with a constant 6psig on the vessel and was able to drain it dry basically.

The current operation offloads 13 trucks in a 24 hour period.  185 barrels each @ 350 barrels per hour per FE.

My issue is I can not get hysys to hold the 350 bph into the vessel.  I had valves on inlets and outlets originally. 

Can hysys schedule these 13 loads possibly as batches?

Is there a way to inject a nitrogen pad to maintain pressure in the vessel to prevent vacuum?

As trucks are coming into the vessel and product is injecting into pipeline plus recycling back to the tank, is there a way to quantify the mass flow that is vented to the flare?.  Also the volume of N2 needed for a month?

Will API 2000 apply with 6 psig on the vessel?

I know what the system should look like.  A N2 regulator for the pad with a PCV on the outlet bleeding to the flare as needed to maintain the set point.

Attached Files

#2 charlesivor

charlesivor

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 07:01 AM

I also have actual data from scada for Pressure, flow and temp up an downstream of the pump.  Also vessel data.

#3 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 11:10 AM

You should just let the tank pressure. Or, you can control the flow to the pipeline to hold the pressure between high and low limits. With this, you need very little makeup gas an minimal venting.

Bobby

#4 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 11:21 AM

As Bobby said, let the tank "ride the bubble", if possible.

#5 charlesivor

charlesivor

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 08:00 PM

They have been letting it ride but continue to have operational issues.

The trucks do add pressure but the pipeline injection eventually trumps it.
I am learning Hysys and was hoping it could simulate this.
Thanks for the comments.

#6 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 10:01 PM

Such as?

#7 charlesivor

charlesivor

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2022 - 08:10 AM

Such as?

#8 charlesivor

charlesivor

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2022 - 08:11 AM

Pulling vacuum in a tank not rated for vacuum.
Pump cavitating when the vessel goes into vacuum

#9 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 21 October 2022 - 09:04 AM

If you added an inert gas to the tank when near empty, so it would be atmospheric pressure or slightly above, such that the tank runs successfully when near full (inert gas compressed), how long until the inert gas is dissolved and pumped out that the problems come back?  

I understand the tank is not rated for FV.  Bummer, and, IMHO,  shame on the Engineer(s) that did that!  I bet it would have not cost much more, or it could have been free, to get the FV rating when that long tank was being constructed.  Can it be re-rated to get the FV rating?

#10 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 21 October 2022 - 09:16 AM

This is what I call a "Rube Goldberg" operation. You can easily add a pressure controller on the tank to regulate a control valve on the pump discharge. And, you are wasting your time using HYSYS to simulate the operation. You already know how to fix it.

As Latexman suggested, that can be used, too. And you can add a valve to supply gas to maintain pressure above atmospheric.

Bobby

#11 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 21 October 2022 - 10:15 AM

As Latexman suggested, that can be used, too. And you can add a valve to supply gas to maintain pressure above atmospheric.

Yep, break vacuum with inert gas.  If you do that, and the pressure from filling/compressing up to a full tank (85-90% level) can be handled by the existing equipment without releasing pressure to vent, you may have an economical solution with minimal loss of inert gas.

#12 charlesivor

charlesivor

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2022 - 06:13 PM

If you added an inert gas to the tank when near empty, so it would be atmospheric pressure or slightly above, such that the tank runs successfully when near full (inert gas compressed), how long until the inert gas is dissolved and pumped out that the problems come back?

I understand the tank is not rated for FV. Bummer, and, IMHO, shame on the Engineer(s) that did that! I bet it would have not cost much more, or it could have been free, to get the FV rating when that long tank was being constructed. Can it be re-rated to get the FV rating?

It should’ve been. There are a few issues all around.
I really was using this to try to expand my Hysys knowledge as I am still new to the software.
My initial thought is to but a 12-24 pack of N2 or more likely a mini bull tank with a regulated set at a few PSI.
As the trucks load throughout the day it will “replace” the makeup gas. Truck drivers are a variable on their own and can’t be reliably depended on.
Then a PCV on the outlet gas side set just under the max pressure the trucks can put out.
I wanted to used Hysys to schedule multiple scenarios for say a months supply of N2 and for waste gas to the flare for perMitting.
Hysys isn’t playing nice

#13 charlesivor

charlesivor

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2022 - 06:20 PM

This is what I call a "Rube Goldberg" operation. You can easily add a pressure controller on the tank to regulate a control valve on the pump discharge. And, you are wasting your time using HYSYS to simulate the operation. You already know how to fix it.

Bobby

There is a PIC on the tank that will shut the pump down once it gets to low.
The vacuum on the tank turns into an NPSHa issue on the pump as well.
You’re right I didn’t need Hysys to fix the problem. I am self teaching myself Hysys and really wanted to recreate the real world scenario. Maybe it’s it’s my OCD.
I just thought I could schedule trucks and be able to send them at 350 bph.
Then show the min flow recycle and N2 inlets on the tank
While showing the pump injecting into the pipeline
Wishful thinking maybe

#14 charlesivor

charlesivor

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2022 - 06:24 PM

Yep, break vacuum with inert gas. If you do that, and the pressure from filling/compressing up to a full tank (85-90% level) can be handled by the existing equipment without releasing pressure to vent, you may have an economical solution with minimal loss of inert gas.

I agree. Just using excel I came up with 500ish scf per day N2.
The flare pcv/py will need a set point under the truck out put.

#15 charlesivor

charlesivor

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2022 - 06:27 PM

Additional Hysys question.
When entering the composition exactly as above
It comes up with a different VP then what the sample shows.
Again could by my Hysys ignorance

#16 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 22 October 2022 - 11:09 PM

Excel is but a fancy calculator. It does not add credibility to your work.

Bobby

#17 charlesivor

charlesivor

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2022 - 03:46 PM

Excel is but a fancy calculator. It does not add credibility to your work.

Bobby

Using a fancy calculator I came up with 500ish!