Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Converting Superheated Steam To Saturated Steam

steam saturatedsteam superheatedsteam powergeneration

9 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 addiesalsabil

addiesalsabil

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 09:05 AM

Hi,

I'm currently designing the utility unit of a plant, specifically on the power generation with steam turbine. I was recommended to have boiler that generates superheated steam that will be fed to the steam turbine. The output steam (assumed already in saturated steam) from the turbine will be used in the process for heating etc.

The question is, how do I know how much superheated steam needed to be converted to saturated steam to fulfil the process demand? I'll be using superheated steam at 260°C and the saturated steam in the process is 174°C.

Could you provide me with insights and resources? Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Addie

Edited by addiesalsabil, 10 September 2023 - 10:28 AM.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 09:38 AM

Gas turbines don't usually require steam.

Bobby

#3 addiesalsabil

addiesalsabil

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 10:28 AM

I'm sorry, my bad. What I meant is steam turbine

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 11:13 AM

The usual practice is to extract steam from the turbine for process needs.

Bobby

#5 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 01:22 PM

I'm currently designing the utility unit of a plant, specifically on the power generation with steam turbine. I was recommended to have boiler that generates superheated steam that will be fed to the steam turbine. The output steam (assumed already in saturated steam) from the turbine will be used in the process for heating etc.

The question is, how do I know how much superheated steam needed to be converted to saturated steam to fulfil the process demand? I'll be using superheated steam at 260°C and the saturated steam in the process is 174°C.

Could you provide me with insights and resources? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

You have to do a steam balance for your plant to achieve the required steam in all levels i.e. LLP steam, LP steam, MP steam, HP steam and VHP steam. Then for running the steam turbine you have to use high pressure super heated steam which is to be converted to high pressure saturated steam after passing through the turbine which can be used as part of required HP steam to fulfill the process demand.

The super heated steam can also be converted to saturated steam by using desuperheater...

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 06:28 PM

Hi,

Consider this link to support your study. Let you dig into it.

A set of calculators with examples.

https://www4.eere.en...amo_steam_tool/

edit:

doc attached: true cost of steam .

Good luck

Breizh

#7 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 08:28 PM

Even though you say the process needs saturated steam, the steam is usually kept superheated for transport in piping to the end user. Some heat will be lost during the transport and you typically want to have dry steam at the end user. Dry steam is easier to measure and control and doesn't cause hammering problems. A small amount of superheat in steam (25 C or so) when used for process heating doesn't help much and doesn't hurt much either so it is usually still considered 'saturated steam' in practice even with a little superheat. As the utility unit designer, you cannot dictate how much saturated steam the plant needs. The plant unit designers must tell this number to the utility unit designer. The steam turbine can be designed to exhaust steam at the pressure required for the process. Steam balances can be tricky since flexibility adds cost. If you must design the utility unit without a firm design basis, you may want to make the system larger than you think will be needed and plan to sell the extra electricity into the grid outside the plant.

#8 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 08:46 PM

Maybe you should start from the beginning, as Pilesar has suggested.

Bobby

#9 addiesalsabil

addiesalsabil

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 09:50 PM

I appreciate the help, thank you everyone

#10 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 04:29 AM

It is almost impossible to optimize required steam and condensate system of a plant without a steam balance, because it requires a complete understanding of the system. The easiest and best method to deliver that steam system understanding is to create a steam balance flow diagram.

A perfect steam balance between steam generation, distribution, end-users (steam turbines, heat exchangers, reboilers,...) requirements, and condensate recovery can (and should) be performed by utility unit designer provided that all end-users information about required steam consumptions had already been provided by plant unit designer.