Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

What Is A Two-Phase Flow For Pressure Relief Device Sizing?

prd rupture disk pressure relief

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 rajbhar_s

rajbhar_s

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 05:44 AM

Hi all,

I am rating a rupture disk for a flashed two-phase flow with 0.1% vapor manly consisting of methane and some CO2. Per API 520-1 Annex C, if I have 'some' non-condensable gas, I can use Direct Integration Method or Omega Method for calculation of two-phase relief area.

I  used both Liquid-only flow (API 520-1 eqn 33) method and two-phase flow method (API 520 Part 1 eqn C.10), and as per the results, the calculated liquid-only area is 10% higher (i.e. more conservative) than two-phase calculated area. 

My question is,

1. Is it Direct Integration Method or Omega Method is a correct choice for this application (i.e. 99.9% liquid or 0.1% vapor)?
  2. What does API mean by 'some noncondensable gas, is it 0.1%, 1%, 5% or 10%? Do they have any guideline?

Regards,

Sanjay

Attached Files

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 07:42 AM

Is that 0.1% by weight or volume?

1. Either is applicable.
  2. From a practical standpoint, when a component, or a group of similar components, are in the 1-10% by weight concentration range, I start to wonder if they will truly affect my estimates, or not.  Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't.  Until you have the experience, you have to calculate.  At 0.1% concentration, I wonder if that is so low it can just be ignored?  Your identification that the area of the liquid case > 2-phase case seems to prove this out.

My $0.02.

#3 PaoloPemi

PaoloPemi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 03:01 PM

the main difference (Omega vs. Direct Integration) is that Omega adopts a simplified model (see Leung ""A Generalized Correlation for One-component Homogeneous Equilibrium...") , as general rule the Direct Integration procedure should be more accurate / reliable  ...
I would verify your result  "the calculated liquid-only area is 10% higher (i.e. more conservative) than two-phase calculated area"... normally the opposite is true (at least  for common compositions /  operating conditions)
there are many  models available for flashing chocked flow (to mention a few : homogeneous equilibrium, homogeneous non equilibrium, models including corrections as boiling delay etc. ) and, as you may imagine, each model has some specific range of application,  
while I utilize preferably HEM (the version included in Prode Properties) which gives normally conservative results, it is certainly useful to compare different models when the value of some parameter / condition is outside the normal range... 

as example see the different results obtained with a small amount of vapor at PSV / RD inlet...