Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Design Of Hts Converter

reactor reactor design pbr water gas shift reaction high temperature wgs reactor

No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Ali M.

Ali M.

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 04:42 PM

Hello there, 

I am currently designing an HTS converter for an ammonia plant. I have completed the catalyst weightage calculation using the Gridler (G3- b)catalyst, which was tested by Elnashaie and Elshishini and already has its developed emperical equation. 

I have a couple of questions though regarding my design:

1. One aspect that I'm unsure about is the "bulk density of the catalyst." I assumed that this is the density of the reactor bed itself. However, despite searching extensively online, I only found the density of that catalyst, being mentioned as pellet density and not the bulk density of the bed. Considering the small value, I found (1250 kg/m3), I assumed it to be the bed density and not as the book stated it to be. Do you have any insights or confirmation regarding my hypothesis, and maybe if you know the catalyst density it would much helpful?

2. When it comes to the mechanical design of the reactor, I have been approaching it in a rather naive manner, using a length-to-diameter ratio of 2-4 to determine the best results. However, I would appreciate any suggestions on how to approach this matter more accurately.

3. In one of the topics in this community, someone mentioned a book called "Ammonia, Part II. Fertilizer Science and Technology Series, Volume 2," which apparently provides detailed design information for a WGS reactor. I was wondering if anyone here has a copy of that book and could share it with me?

Edited by Ali M., 22 December 2023 - 04:56 AM.