Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Control System

control process heating medium fired heater closed loop process design

5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Lyne

Lyne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 May 2024 - 02:53 PM

Hello everyone,

I am confused about pump control in a closed loop (Hot oil Loop). I have attached a snapshot of the system. Is it correct to provide a control valve downsteam a pump in a closed loop ? each heat exchanger has it's own flow control valve. so do we need to add a control valve downstream the pump? Please suggest me what can i improve in this system.

Thank You

Attached Files

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 03 May 2024 - 04:00 PM

Hello everyone,

I am confused about pump control in a closed loop (Hot oil Loop). I have attached a snapshot of the system. Is it correct to provide a control valve downsteam a pump in a closed loop ? each heat exchanger has it's own flow control valve. so do we need to add a control valve downstream the pump? Please suggest me what can i improve in this system.

Thank You

Hi,

If all control valves at pump discharge and around the exchangers are flow control valve, at a glance seems the control valve at pump discharge isn't necessary and has to be removed.

#3 Lyne

Lyne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 May 2024 - 05:11 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank You

Hi,

If all control valves at pump discharge and around the exchangers are flow control valve, at a glance seems the control valve at pump discharge isn't necessary and has to be removed.

Thank you for your response, what if they are temperature control valves ?? aren't we controlling the flow too ? what changes ? excuse my beginner questions

Edited by Lyne, 03 May 2024 - 05:14 PM.

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 03 May 2024 - 05:51 PM

Thank you for your response, what if they are temperature control valves ?? aren't we controlling the flow too ? what changes ? excuse my beginner questions

Hi,

If the control valves around the parallel exchangers are temperature control valves, again the flow control valve at pump discharge should be removed because the constant flow passing through the FCV at pump discharge will be fighting against the total required flow through the parallel exchangers which might be variable due to temperature variation.

#5 Lyne

Lyne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 May 2024 - 05:59 AM

Thank you.

For the flow across the fired heater, this doesn't affect it ? In case of the absence of a consumer, the flow will be reduced through the fired heater? I'm thinking about the air cooler duty sizing case. It should be the turndown of the fired heater, or the highest consumer duty

#6 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 04 May 2024 - 08:18 PM

Thank you.

For the flow across the fired heater, this doesn't affect it ? In case of the absence of a consumer, the flow will be reduced through the fired heater? I'm thinking about the air cooler duty sizing case. It should be the turndown of the fired heater, or the highest consumer duty

Hi,

Please refer to the relevant document titled: Control Philosophy...