Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Condenser Inlet Stream Temperature

6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Sampath123

Sampath123

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 04:29 AM

Hello all. I am simulating a stabilizer column in hysys. The column got converged with required specs. In column environment the vapor from top tray to condenser is at 75 deg C and vaporfraction is 1. I copied the same composition to a stream outside the column environment but here it is showing vapor & liquid fractions at 75 deg C. At 79 deg C I am getting complete vapor fraction outside the column environment. Because of this variation in temperature the condenser duty calculated by column differs from the extrnal cooler which calculated the duty bases on copied stream. I want to export top stage vapor composition & properties to EDR to design condenser. So I copied top vapor composition from column environment to oitside but it is causing the above mentioned problem. Please help me with it.

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 04:44 AM

What pressure is at top tray to condenser? What pressure is at the stream outside the column environment? Different pressures would explain the temperature difference.

#3 Sampath123

Sampath123

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 05:04 AM

@latexman thankyou for the response. Top tray pressure and outside stream pressure is same.

#4 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 05:52 AM

Is it because of the difference between bubble point and dew point at the same composition?

#5 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 06:09 AM

Are you modeling the column as theoretical stages or as trays with efficiencies applied? It is better to use theoretical stages so that the top vapor will be at its dew point.

#6 Sampath123

Sampath123

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 07:33 AM

@Pilesar thankyou for the response. Yes I modeled with overall efficiencies and actual trays as theoretical trays divided by efficiency. By considering theroretical stages problem got solved. Thankyou once agian for sharing your knowledge.

#7 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for letting us know the result. Theoretical stages are so much easier to use in simulations once you can adjust your mind to think that way. There are some situations where tray efficiency can be useful such as two side draws very close to each other, but even then I try to use theoretical stages if at all possible and make adjustments using 'engineering judgment' or additional detailed calculations after the main model converges. When building distillation models, I found it helpful to map actual trays to theoretical stages in a spreadsheet. When trays are numbered from the bottom up and stages numbered from the top down and the condenser is a full stage but not a tray it can get confusing trying to figure out which stage gets the feed and which stages have temperature measurements in the field. I think the software developers might provide a bit more help in this area, but they do a pretty good job with the tools and the answers are only as good as the inputs we give.