Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Sulfuric Acid Plant Simulation In Hysys

sulfuric acid hysys simulation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 LeoLeo

LeoLeo

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:19 PM

Hello everybody,

Does any body here have the experience of simulating sulfuric acid plant in HYSYS ?!?!

I want to know the accuracy of the available thermodynamic packages in HYSYS for this specific case.

Regards,

ARM

#2 Erwin APRIANDI

Erwin APRIANDI

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:38 AM

Why did you choose Aspentech HYSYS instead of Aspentech AspenPlus?

please refer to the reference

http://www.aspentech...ine 10-2010.pdf

#3 LeoLeo

LeoLeo

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:38 AM

Erwin,

Part of the simulation (gas sweetening plant) is done in HYSYS. The removed H2S is used as raw material for production of sulfuric acid.

I want to have both plants in one simulation file.

I searched for simulation of sulfuric acid plant in HYSYS. So far, nothing ...

#4 smalawi

smalawi

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:19 PM

Hi,

with v7.x, aspen integrated their thermo properties across Hysys and Aspen Plus, therefore expanding the overall database and use the same methods across.

having said that, i never used either in simulation of Sulphuric Acid plants. I believe these designs depend more on know-how rather than plain physics.

cheers,

sm

#5 Erwin APRIANDI

Erwin APRIANDI

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:24 AM

Ok, now I know the reasons, as per smalawi post and based on Aspentech explanation when I join their seminar for V7.x release; "Yes" they have imbuild all Aspen Plus thermodynamics package to HYSYS which is called by Aspen Properties, but to have this it is a different license so if you only have HYSYS lisence you can not use this it required additional lisence, you have to contact you HYSYS vendor to get the lisence.

And there are some setting that you have to do before you can use this, so if aspen plus is ok for sulphuric acid simulation I believe this can be realiable to. But I'm not sure since I never use it before, but I have use Aspen Properties and it giving better results for steam system simulation using ASME steam table

Edited by erwin.apriandi, 31 October 2011 - 02:25 AM.

#6 divya singh

divya singh

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hey everyone, my final year project is regarding simulation and modelling of sulfuric acid plant,if anyone has a chemcad model of the plant please mail me the file.My email id is singhdivya0704@gmail.com
I really need help in this regard.Thanks in advance

#7 LeoLeo

LeoLeo

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:10 AM

Hi Divya Singh,

I did the Sulphuric Acid plant simulation in HYSYS. With Chemcad I have no experience.

Cheers,

ARM

#8 rizi137

rizi137

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

hi ARM,

plz send me Sulphuric Acid plant simulation in HYSYS

at rizi137@yahoo,com

#9 dah1203

dah1203

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Divya,

Which fluid package did you eventually use for H2S04?

#10 Maabdolat

Maabdolat

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

Hi.....

u can use Glycol package or NRTL package, but u must have to specify Activity coefficients for complete and accurate absorption of H2O or SO3 in H2SO4.......

as hysys as well as Aspen , both dont have Equilibrium data , therefore if u dont specify Activity coefficients in Fluid package manually, u cant get moisture free air at dryer outlet and SO3 absorption in H2SO4 at recommended flows.......

regards,

#11 LeoLeo

LeoLeo

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:53 AM

Hi.....

u can use Glycol package or NRTL package, but u must have to specify Activity coefficients for complete and accurate absorption of H2O or SO3 in H2SO4.......

as hysys as well as Aspen , both dont have Equilibrium data , therefore if u dont specify Activity coefficients in Fluid package manually, u cant get moisture free air at dryer outlet and SO3 absorption in H2SO4 at recommended flows.......

regards,

Well, this depends on type of the sulfuric acid production process. The process that I simulated was very old (burning H2S and converting to SO2, then converting SO2 to SO3 in presence of vanadium oxide and at the end reacting SO3 with water content of diluted sulfuric acid). I used HYSYS and considered two different thermodynamic packages. Up to SO3 scrubber (scrubbing SO3 with diluted sulfuric acid), I considered PRSV. From SO3 scrubber to the end of process I used Electrolyte package from ASPEN Properties in HYSYS environment.

I compared the result of Simulation with real plant data and the result of comparison was very close to real data (difference less than 2%).

Edited by ARM, 17 September 2014 - 03:26 AM.

#12 kakovic

kakovic

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

Hi Divya Singh,

I did the Sulphuric Acid plant simulation in HYSYS. With Chemcad I have no experience.

Cheers,

ARM

hello peale can you send me the file , i need it to and thanks a lot

#13 RockDock

RockDock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:03 PM

I doubt Hysys would be able to model the sulfuric acid plant very well. It is not generally very good for acid/base reactions. Instead I would use Aspen Plus, ProMax, or ChemCAD. If you can use Aspen Plus properties in Hysys, it should be accurate, too.

Now, you also stated that you made a Hysys model of your Amine Sweetening unit. This is also not recommended due to the inaccuracies found in Hysys for ions (again an acid/base deficiency).

Of the four simulators mentioned above, I would always choose ProMax for Amine Sweetening. If you want to have the Sulfuric Acid plant modeled in the same simulator, it would make sense to use ProMax for all of it, however, ChemCAD or Aspen Plus can probably do the Sulfuric Acid part just as well.

#14 LeoLeo

LeoLeo

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:08 AM

Hi RockDock,

You are absolutely right. HYSYS is not the best to simulate the Sulfuric Acid Plant, but since you can use ASPEN properties in HYSYS environment the result is acceptable. I also compared end result versus real plant data and it was acceptable.

For Amine plant, it is possible to use Amine package in HYSYS as well. The accuracy is acceptable. I have done the simulation for MEA plant and the result was very close to plant data.

#15 devanata

devanata

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:50 AM

Hi ARM, can you send me your simulation for MEA plant ? i have homework about simulation MEA Plant, my e-mail : devanata1@gmail.com thank you