Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Gas Saturation Unit In Properties

gas saturation unit water prode properties

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 mrbabu

mrbabu

Gold Member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:54 AM

When simulating the gas plant our client adds a so called "gas saturation unit" which is available in some simulators, as far as I understand it gives the possibility to saturate the gas with water, our practice with Prode Properties is to add a certain (little) amount of water, do a isothermal flash and then get the vapor phase as saturated, results are very close to those calculated with the "gas saturation unit", I believe this is a common practice but I would appreciate opinions and comments from experts..

#2 marchem

marchem

Gold Member

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

the procedure is correct if you manage to keep the amount of condensate very low (by reducing the amount of water injected), with usual EOS condesnate will not be pure water but it will contain a certain amount of dissolved gas and that will modify the final composition in gas phase.
Altough it is a common practice to include a gas saturation unit you should investigate the validity of the selected EOS with water...
In Prode Properties depending from composition and operating conditions you can select ISO 18453 (Gerg 2004), GERG 2008 or a std. EOS with complex mixing rules.

#3 mrbabu

mrbabu

Gold Member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:14 AM

Marchem,
in a test case with a natural gas mixture I see low solubilities of vapor fractions in water phase,
for CO2 about 0.00001 and lower for hydrocarbons as C3, C4 ...
Perhaps the quatity of condensate (as water) should not be so critical, do you agree ?

#4 marchem

marchem

Gold Member

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:22 AM

you can easily verify that, the different component's fractions in condensate should be very low with exception of water.

#5 mrbabu

mrbabu

Gold Member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

hi marchem,
we use GERG model (which is said to be accurate for water with hydrocarbons) while our client does utilize the "extended" PR model (which is that available in their software) , then there is a little difference, however the method gives equivalent results (when correcting for uncertainty due to different models)