Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Ip 1089 Part 19 Fire Precautions At Refineries And Bulk Storage Instal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Leinster

Leinster

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:32 PM

I was reading through a design philosophy the other day for an HFO Tank Farm for a power station and it had referenced NFPA 15 and IP 1089 Part 19.

I have 2 questions;

1. When calculating the water requirements it had assumed that one of the tanks was on fire and required the water coverage stipulated by NFPA 15 of 10.2 Lpm/m2. All adjacent tanks however were calculated on a flow rate of 2 Lpm/m2. I have never seen this in NFPA 15 (please correct me if I am wrong) so assume that it must be in IP 1089 Part 19. I have tried to find this standard online but have failed which is why I have posted this. Can someone please confirm and shed some light or even advise where I can purchase a soft copy of this standard?

2. In the design philosophy no water was required for potential pool fire in the bund area however the way I understand NFPA 15 is that this is a requirement. In section 7.3.3 it mentions water spray systems designed to control pool fires resulting from flammable or combustible liquid spill fires which to me would appear to apply to bunded areas in a tank farm. What however is unclear is why the water requirements would be greater on the concrete bund area (12.2 Lpm/m2) than they would on the on the tank itself has caused me to doubt myself. Am I misinterpreting this? What would apply to water volume requirements for bunded areas?

I look forward to your responses.