• Create Account

Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

3-Stage Propane Ref Performance

Line Sizing, Hydraulic Calculation, Psv Load Calculation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 suresh2

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:04 AM

hi all,

Anybody can help me out regarding the following topics. I just need basics about the following topics.

-- Line Sizing
-- Hydraulic Calculation
-- PSV load calculation

thanks a lot.

suresh reddy.

#2 joerd

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:12 AM

This is a very general question. I propose you search the forums here and at eng-tips.com, and google for it. There are a lot of resources on the web.
Any book on Chemical Engineering will also give you more info than you can swallow ;-)

#3 Henry Sianturi

Henry Sianturi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:26 AM

Hi suresh...

#4 GKKannan

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:59 AM

Hi suresh reddy,

Line sizing is basically done from "Darcy equation". For application of this equation, you can refer to Ludwig, vol-1. Various cases are mentioned in this book. Like Liquids, compressible gases etc.

Hydraulic calculation means making a pressure balance in the process flow based on the preliminary P&ID. The inputs are pipeline pressure drop, equipment pressure drop. Normally pipeline pressure drop contributes around less than 20 % in a typical process flow. You take up a PFD and P&ID do it yourself once, you can learn easily.

PSV load calculation is based on "Transient analyisis" of all relief valves in a process plant and grouping the PSVS of probable failures. This is a detailed calculation procedure. If you take up a Process P&ID and start grouping the PSVs for various failure cases like Blocked outlet, cooling water failure, fire etc, you can logically derive the quantities of the PSV loads.

I think you are asking about these topics while looking for a job oppurtunity in Detailed Engg Contractor companies. Above are the minimum skills a process engineer should have to get a job in DEC.

GK Kannan.