Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Dehydration Unit Has Brown Color Problems

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Dandy Komboris

Dandy Komboris

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

Dear Fellow Engineer

My Dehydration Unit Color has turned to brown

I attach the photo so All of you can see it

I assume this color because of the TEG Droplet coming out of the system through the Venting Line.

Have all of you ever Find This Problems in Your Field ??

Should i give some detail information for you guys to analyze the process ?

Please help me guys

Warm

Regards

Attached Files

#2 maqqadri

maqqadri

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Replace your cartridge and carbon filter media
timely & ponder on re sizing them. Check activated carbon shelf life

#3 cnu879

cnu879

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:24 AM

Dear Dandy,

Please refer the following, hopefully you will get the solution. Mr.Art gave his views on Yellow/Brown color change of TEG unit based on his experience.

Please refer Post Number of 22 & 28.

http://www.cheresour...as-dehydration/

Thanks.

Regards.

Srinii

#4 RockDock

RockDock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

There may be multiple reasons for this. I would first suspect that you have a compound problem. First, you are carrying over amine to your TEG unit. Second, you have a leak (or multiple leaks).

#5 Dandy Komboris

Dandy Komboris

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

Dear RockDock

Yes there are leakeages in my Dehydration Unit, but still these leaks are not in top section of the Regeneratin Skid. I attached the P&ID of my Dehydration Unit. When I Operate the DHU the water droplet is coming out through the vent stack. I suspect the water droplet contains Some GLycol Droplet. These glycol droplets then spread out all over the Equipment Surface in Regenerating Section.

I believe the glycol is oxidized by the air that turn the color of the equipment surface to yellow color.

Has any one ever experienced this kind of problem ??

Please see the P&ID

I would appreciate any information from anyone of you

Warm Regards

Dandy

Attached Files

#6 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

Maqqadri, Cnu879, Rockdock, and I both have initially interpreted your writing as stating that your TEG fluid is brown in color.  While that may be the case, what you are now describing is an external, brown coating that has tainted your equipment externally.

What you may be seeing is the result of the fog/mist that is vented out of your rich TEG flash drum – especially if you are running your absorber rather “warm” (100+ oF) and your unit is located in a humid site (like Indonesia).  You didn’t supply the rest of the P&ID, so I have to assume you are venting the flash gas and not flaring it or burning it in your reboiler.  If that is not the case, then you may have other venting taking place near by.  Your photo is an excellent illustration of what is happening and I can detect what appears to be a foggy vent about half-way up the TEG Still tower.

I share your concern for the problem.  It isn’t only aesthetics; if your unit looks dirty and bad, it is an indication that the maintenance may also be bad – and that isn’t good.  All TEG units should reflect good, clean operation.

#7 zaheer87

zaheer87

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

it may be due to the teg carry over along with the water vapor through the still column. . . .when we use a larger amount of sparging gas teg mist came through the still column and fall on the unit. . . .so reduce the TEG carry over through the still column.

#8 Dandy Komboris

Dandy Komboris

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:27 AM

Thanks For All Your Input

Our Team has decided that we are going to Install Vent  Head in the Venting line, hopefully it will minimize glycol Carryover.

DOes Aneone has ane reference how to design Vent Head ??

I beg for your help. I've been searching in the internet or any literature that i have. There are no spesific design calculation for vent head design.

If somebody has the reference to design vent head it wouldbe a great help for me.

Warm Regrads

Dandy

#9 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:51 AM

Dandy,

The term "vent head" sounds unfamiliar (at least to me). Can you tell what will be the function of this item in some more detail?

Normally installing a mist eliminator mesh or a deflector plate at the gas outlet nozzle will prevent or minimize fine droplet carryover.

Regards,

Ankur. 

#10 RoyenG

RoyenG

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:20 AM

Hi,

and also not forget that ambient temperature in the area (Cilamaya) is quite low that can condense your "sour" gas if the plant don't have adequate vent system.

There are some tools like PHAST or build a calculation/spreadsheet for dispersion using API RP 521.

Regards,

Royen