Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Vent Design

vent design reactor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Nico_93

Nico_93

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:08 AM

Hi, 

I'am designing a biorreactor and I need to design a valve to continuous vent of CO2 and air. But I don't know how sizing the area of vent. 

Thanks.

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:41 AM

Nico,

Find the maximum outgoing volumetric flow rate....specify the length and configuration of the vent line....suppose a size for the vent line and calculate the destination pressure based on known flow rate and upstream pressure (reactor design pressure) using gas flow equation. If calculated destination pressure is higher than available value; increase the size and repeat the calculation till the calculated destination pressure to be equal to or lower than available value...

#3 Nico_93

Nico_93

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:29 PM

Naser,

I calculated the vent area using gas flow equation, but I have some doubts; the design pressure of the reactor is 25 psig + pressure of the column water reactor (the type of reactor is a CSTR ) and the outlet pressure is 1 atm, because it is a atmosferic vent.

So in the gas flow equation, Is the design pressure equal that inlet gas pressure? and Should be atmosferic pressure equal that pressure discharge of gas?

Thanks.

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:40 PM

Nico,

That pressure is at the bottom of the reactor; but the upstream pressure you should use is 25 psig (pressure at top of the reactor) and destination pressure is 14.7 psig (atmospheric)...