Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Compressor Selection And Configuration

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 mosayef

mosayef

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:10 PM

hi all,

i want to ask about how to choose compressor type and their configuration ( 1x100%, 2x50% or 3x30%). this is for the natural gas field development ( 96% Methane, 65 MMSCFD, specific gravity 0.57, ACFM 3025 )

at the beginning of production, in the gas processing plant, the suction pressure is around 500 psi, the lowest expected suction pressure is around 150 psi at the end of life of this plant, the discharge pressure desired is around 1200 psi. suction temperature is 100 F.

due to economies aspect, the natural gas field shall be produced for around 5 years until the pressure in the suction compressor is 150 psi.if i evaluate fig 13-3 GPSA (compressor coverage chart) there are only 2 options, either centrifugal single stage or reciprocating multistage

my questions are :

a. what should i evaluate and compare to decide to use centrifugal single stage or reciprocating multistage (single stage first and then dual stage ? ) the engine for the compressor, maintenance, cost, fuel gas consumption ? what is the most critical aspect ? because this is for natural gas processing plant which the pressure will decrease over time. 

b. how about the configuration ? since the configuration will affect the horse power needed. what are the aspects that affect the configuration ?

i need your advice to decide the type of compressor and the configuration to compress natural gas from 150psi / 500psi to 1200 psi (7100 hp needed, most conservative if single stage), honestly i am not familiar with the common engine power and compressor available in the market. i need your info :)

thank you very much :)

Edited by mosayef, 19 May 2015 - 05:34 PM.