Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Mutliple Feed Binary Distillation Column Design

mccabe thiele two feed mutliple feed reflux ratio design lewis sorrel lewis matherson

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Hazem Hawwash

Hazem Hawwash

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:29 PM

Hi all,

I am currently designing a two feed distillation column separating methanol and water, at 1 bar, for an MTBE third year design project. I have derived the operating lines, in terms of both feeds, and have set up a spreadsheet for a Mccabe thiele diagram. I am however confused and lost as to how to calculate the reflux ratio. Once I find out how to caclulate the reflux ratio, I believe I can use lewis matherson and lewis sorrel methods as well.

I would be very grateful if somebody could shed some light on this and how to calulate the reflux ratio with two feeds. 

Kind regards,

hazoomeh

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:13 PM

https://escholarship...96n0xv#page-256

Consider the resource above, you may find pointers to support your work.

Good luck

Breizh

#3 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:49 PM

And, pray tell, why does one need more than one feed to distill methanol-water mixtures? Especially in the MTBE process where all the stream comes from the wash tower.

Bobby

#4 Hazem Hawwash

Hazem Hawwash

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:46 PM

Thankyou Breizh, I shall check that out.

Hi Bobby, there is a flash drum before the distillation column. The intention was to put the vapour stream (in liquid phase) as the feed to the distillation column, however, the liquid stream out of the flash drum does not meet the specification required. Therefore, I have designed it as a two feed distillation column. The pressure of the flash drum feed is at 8 bar and I intend to reduce it to 1bar, I thought that I could take advantage of the separation in a flash drum as well as pressure reduction. I am thinking that If I use a flash drum, the size and number of stages in the column will be smaller and hence cheaper.  If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me, feedback is much appreciated.

Kind Regards, 

Hazem 

Edited by Hazem Hawwash, 25 June 2016 - 12:25 AM.

#5 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:57 AM

You are definitely wrong to separate vapor and liquid before feeding the column. You can get free software (ChemSep) from the internet. With this you can simulate the operations. Good luck.

Bobby