Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Cost Info Needed For Large-Scale Compressor

compressor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:55 AM

Hi,

I am looking for reliable information on either actual costs or cost correlations for large scale gas centrifugal, (motor-driven or steam-driven or gas-driven compressors) compressors, typically used in large petrochemical plants. It is difficult to get such information just by  agoogle search. This information is needed to get ballpark estimates when doing preliminary feasibility studies on projects. Iam looking at comprssors with power requirements between 50 and 100MW handling mostly light hydrocarbon gases and with pressure ratios of 2 to 3.

Please let m eknow reliable source of information(either vendor quotes) or correlations which are reliable for this.

I need to know equipment cost as well as installed cost and the ratio between the two costs.

Your help isgreatly appreciated

#2 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

No takers for this? Your inputs are needed please

#3 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:01 AM

daraj,

Ball-park cost estimates can be obtained with the attached cost estimation spreadsheet. You need to mention the year, the Marshall & Swift Index for the year and the USD to Euro rate to start the calculations.

Regards,

Ankur.

Attached Files

#4 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:33 AM

Thanks Ankur. do you know the underlying basis for those cost calculations? are they taken from some textbook?

also how reliable are they? (are they within 30-50% of actual costs?)

#5 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

daraj,

One of the most popular cost estimation tools for chemical process equipment has been developed by Peters & Timmerhaus and the cost estimation calculations are well described in their famous book "Plant Design and Economics for Chemical Engineers". An online cost calculator is available at the following link based on the same book:

http://www.mhhe.com/...rs/data/ce.html

The attached spreadsheet in my earlier post is I believe based on the same methodology. You can compare the calculations from the spreadsheet and the online tool and arrive at some reasonable cost.

Regards,

Ankur.

#6 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:59 PM

oK THANKS

#7 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:21 AM

As I suspected these online tools do not have correlations for large scale compressors. They dont go beyond 6-10 MW, while what I need is 50-75 MW

#8 vsnlbom

vsnlbom

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:52 AM

For turbine driven compressor consider 0.8 to 1 MMUSD per MW of ISO rating power.

#9 Napo

Napo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:41 PM

Daraj,

You can review the information in the book: "Gas Machinery" by Lyman Scheel, Gulf Publishing Co., Houston, 1972.

I send you a chart of this book (p. 203).

Napo.

Attached Files