Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hysys Problem !

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Alestino

Alestino

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

Hi,
I have a problem with a component of my hysys simulation. I want to cold a stream of pure iodine from 90°C (and for example 110 kPa 10kmol/h) to 50°C, but the heat flow needed is -8576 kJ/h. Naturally I have installed a cooler, but the heat flow is negative. Do you know why? where is the problem?
I'm using the NRTL equation as fluid pack.
However, I have noticed that in the stream the heat capacity is absent. Could that be the problem? and how can I modify that?
Thank you...

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

Why would you need Hysys for such a simple calculation? All that you have to do is to obtain thermodynamical properties of Iodine (pick any resource you want) and the calculation is straightforward.

#3 Alestino

Alestino

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:26 AM

You are right, but it was only an example. I have different components in my simulation and I have noticed that a stream with high iodine concentration has that strange behaviour. This problem happen every time that a stream has high iodine concentration, for this reason probably I need to modify iodine property or fluid pack property. I don't know...

Thank you for the reply...

Edited by Alestino, 31 March 2010 - 06:29 AM.

#4 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:25 AM

Perhaps I am wrong, but NRTL property package does not work with Iodine in Hysys.
I don't know what are the other components in your system, maybe you can try to use different thermo.

#5 Alestino

Alestino

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:54 AM

My component list is:
HI
I2
H2O
H2SO4
SO3
SO2
O2
H2
...probably General-NRTL doesn't work with iodine (Excuse me, I'm using General NRTL, not NRTL as I told you previously), but I didn't receive any warning during the choose of fluid pack...

Edited by Alestino, 31 March 2010 - 07:58 AM.