Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Gas Jet Calculation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 zdendacejka

zdendacejka

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:29 AM

Hi,
I'm revising and reimplementing software for modelling effects of hazardous substances releases. I got to the area gas jet dispersion (also named as turbulent jets, sonic and subsonic gas jets etc.) For the kick off I've tried to find some semi-empirical models and I got to the chapter 15.20 - Dispersion of Jets and Plumes in that "gnarly" bible - Lee's Loss Prevention In Process Industries... and I'm really confused, lot of contradictions!

In part 15.20.2 - Gas jets there are several statements, for example:

• equation 15.20.8 (simplified) Posted Image
  • equation 15.20.18 Posted Image

Where c(x) means volumetric concentration at distance x (on the axis), ro is density, o means orifice, d is diameter of the hole (orifice) and k is constant (usually 5 - 6).

Can you see that disproportion of density ratios? Which form is the right one? Are there any correct equations for estimating concentration profile during gas jet (semi-empirical, not CFD)?

Thanks for your advices.

#2 mbeychok

mbeychok

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

zdendacejka:

I think you would find it very useful to read this article in the online Citizendium encylopedia:

Accidental release source terms

#3 zdendacejka

zdendacejka

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:03 AM

zdendacejka:

I think you would find it very useful to read this article in the online Citizendium encylopedia:

Accidental release source terms

Thanks, but this is not exactly what I need. Referenced article deals with source term problems - releases, mass flow calculation, evaporation etc. But I solve a subsequent problem - dispersion.

Suppose I've calculated relevant parameters of outflow (critical) through hole - density, velocity, mass flow in hole. Because of high outflow velocity (in fact high Reynolds number) I can't use PLUME model for subsequent dispersion. High momentum of outflowing gas causes dilution and other behavior... I have to use jet model - and that is the critical point, which one of jet models mentioned above is the correct one?