Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hysys Condenser...dynamic Simulation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 marchese85

marchese85

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

Hello !!!!!
I'm working on a dynamic simulation in hysys (batch distillation) ... I'm having a big problem with a condenser. The flow of vapour is about 250 kg / h. I've set a heat exchanger volume equal to 0.08 m3 . When I start the simulation the mass balances are correct (although with some inaccuracy), but the compositions of the incoming steam and condensate (fraction of steam is zero) don't correct. How do I solve the problem ????.
I tried to reduce the step size and modify the execution rate of composition and flash calculation, but without results.
how can i do????...i'm desperate...please help me!!!!!
thanks in advance!!!!
p.s. sorry for my bad english

Edited by marchese85, 07 September 2010 - 04:41 PM.

#2 Bharat Abhyankar

Bharat Abhyankar

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:00 AM

Hi marchese85,

I have faced similar problems with HYSYS dynamics, and I understand that it can be very irritating.

1) In order to understand your column, draw and specify your system. Can you attach a simple sketch?
2) Is it a Partial condenser or a Total one?
3) If its a Partial type, are you able to maintain column overhead pressure?
4) If its a total condenser, increase its UA and try to stabilize the column that way.
5) Dynamic Simulation is nothing but a Pressure Flow solver. If you can state what Pressure and flows you have fixed in your simulation, I may be able to help you further...

Keep Simulating!

#3 Bharat Abhyankar

Bharat Abhyankar

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:18 PM

Hello Marchese85,

Do you observe vapor in the pump suction (P-100) when it starts destabilizing? (In the snap shot the pump is cavitating)
I guess that the problem could be associated with the phase flip in the Condenser.

Try the following:

1) Make sure the "Holdup Volume" of following valves is zero:
___a. reflux valve
___b. nitro aco valve
___c. RV-100

2) Is water present in overhead? In the phase detection option, manually set the water content in the vapor to 60% for separate phase detection.

Regards,