Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Future Of Gasification

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 pinknin

pinknin

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:02 AM

hello everyone ...
for some of You it will be a stupid topic... but I just have to be sure ;)

Right now I work as an process engineer mostly natural gas (so PFD, HYSYS, equip. sizint etc.)
...and some other company invited me for an interview and I supposed to be an junior supervisor of gasification plant.
It's new thing for me and I have to say it's very interesting.
But I'm not sure if gasification can handle competition with natural gas... this market is still tiny... here in Europe, or I'm not well informed ;)

Can anybody connected with gasification branch tell me more about it... decision time is coming ;)

#2 sundutt

sundutt

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:46 AM

hello;

presently evryone is looking for alternative sorce of energy so in future there will be huge scope for GTL & CTL plants, as per availiability of feeed stock these industry growing, see for example in the regioin like middle east,nigeria,uzbekistan ample of gas reserves are available so gas to liquid plants are growing, same time in some part of US,CHINA,INDIA lot of coal is availiable and good market for hydrocarbon so coal tio liquid plants are projected.

so it depends on how you are utilising your opportunity to grow, surely GASIFICATION will be tremendous demand due to CTL scope.
so think of it!

finally decision is yours......
all the best!

#3 sundutt

sundutt

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:48 AM

if u need any other ingfo mail me santosh_khopade@rediff.com

#4 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:51 AM

hello everyone ... for some of You it will be a stupid topic... but I just have to be sure ;)
Right now I work as an process engineer mostly natural gas (so PFD, HYSYS, equip. sizint etc.)
...and some other company invited me for an interview and I supposed to be an junior supervisor of gasification plant. It's new thing for me and I have to say it's very interesting.
But I'm not sure if gasification can handle competition with natural gas... this market is still tiny... here in Europe, or I'm not well informed ;)Can anybody connected with gasification branch tell me more about it... decision time is coming ;)

In Greece there was a lignite gasification plant (German technology) to produce H2 for NH3 synthesis in fertilizer Industry. The plant started in about 1965 and shut down approximately in 2000. Natural gas started coming to Greece in 1990, but this may not be the reason for the shutdown. As I understand, NH3 produced through this process did not have competitive cost. Produced gas was used exclusively for ammonia production, as said, rejecting shift conversion CO2 to atmosphere.
In 1984 there was a serious effort to expand lignite gasification capacity, using Czech technology; but finally the Project was canceled; this may be due to "invading" natural gas.
The old motto says that petroleum and gas deposits will be soon exhausted (but always extended..), so carbon would be the basis for fuels. This has not gained popularity nowadays mainly because of pollution caused by carbon burning and the subsequent carbon tax. It is not probable that carbon will be abandoned in future because of these reasons, methods to trap CO2 would be applied, even though natural gas emits ~ half of CO2 compared to carbon for same heat of combustion.
However all these concern the long term, you are interested in working conditions in next 20-30 years, not to say that experience from such a Project (lasting at least 4 years?) would enhance your professional qualifications and status.
What I would investigate is the perspectives of this specific Project, will it be implemented? In Greece I was involved twice in Projects that were finally canceled, situation to be avoided.
Such Projects have more possibilities if implemented by the State, although this is not a guarantee. Try to learn more about the specific gasification Project: Has it assured funding? Is it considered profitable? Are the Owners serious? I would consider medium term status rather than long term in my decision. If the Project will be accomplished, then it is worth while thinking of going there (also depending on present work status and your feelings).

#5 riven

riven

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:41 AM

Here is a start; there is much information on this plant.
http://www.consumere...tulu-gtl-plant/

For biomass gasification you have to look a lot harder.