Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Deethanizer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Aylool

Aylool

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

Can anyone explain breifly the mechanism of how a deethanizer unit works?

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:40 AM

De-C2 tower follows the same design and operational principles as any other distillation column. The only difference is the material selection concept, since the tower is exposed to cryogenic temperatures well below those for which Carbon Steel is rated.

Any textbook is good for start, plenty of information available on the internet as well. See the section #2 at: http://kolmetz.com/pdf/DeMethRev48.pdf

#3 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

For a dethanizer unit in refining unit which requires removal of light ends for LPG production have a look at the following attachment.

Regards,
Ankur.

Attached Files

#4 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:59 AM

Can anyone explain breifly the mechanism of how a deethanizer unit works?

Dear,
The word 'De-ethanizer' stands for the recovery of the ethane from the available feed. The unit configurations would be different in specific applications. The ethane from natural gas is recovered in NGL fraction unit in a LNG train i.e. the demethanizer column bottoms mainly C2+ and very less in C1 are fed to NGL fractionation train where you separate the these liquids. This is the typical recovery under the cryogenic temperatures. Even in LNG you find the substantial quantity of the Ethane. Few years back I was just going through a conceptualization study report by licensor when I was in Algeria for ethane extraction from LNG.(Keep in mind the ethane extraction from LNG is different concept than in ethane recovery in NGL fractionation).
Whereas what Ankur has suggested is basically a Naphtha Stabilizer in Crude distillation unit ovhd circuit with a partial condenser, where the C2(-) with little C3/C4 slip is withdrawn as a top vapor product(C2 minus concentration is very less in un-stabilized naphtha feed) and the distillate is the LPG(C3/C4) and bottoms is the stabilized Naphtha. Apart from this ethane is recovered in Units likes gas plants downstream of FCCU and Delayed cokers or even in an aromatic complex. Hope it helps you.

Attached Files

#5 simon_hayton

simon_hayton

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

The ethane from natural gas is recovered in NGL fraction unit in a LNG train i.e. the demethanizer column bottoms mainly C2+ and very less in C1 are fed to NGL fractionation train where you separate the these liquids. This is the typical recovery under the cryogenic temperatures. Even in LNG you find the substantial quantity of the Ethane. Few years back I was just going through a conceptualization study report by licensor when I was in Algeria for ethane extraction from LNG.(Keep in mind the ethane extraction from LNG is different concept than in ethane recovery in NGL fractionation).

Hi Padmakar,

I am hoping to get started on designing a de-ethaniser unit for a LNG feed in the near future. Could you recommend any good textbooks, articles or other reading material to get some good background knowledge?

Many thanks,
Simon

#6 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

Simon,

Check Ortloff's web page on C2+ and C3+ recovery. They have state of the art technology for Ethane and LPG recovery processes, involving turbo-expander as heart of the unit.

http://www.ortloff.com/recovery/

#7 Apirat Chaitanarit

Apirat Chaitanarit

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:11 AM

thanks