Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Flash Point Determination/estimation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:10 AM

In my safety notes I have quoted as the method to determine the flash point :

"Flash point of a mixture is that temperature at which Pmix(T) reaches the LFL"

Can anybody provide a simple correlation or demystify what my lecturer is trying to say? Would it be cheeky to ask for a simple example to shed some light on an extremely baffled student? rolleyes.gif

Thanks biggrin.gif
Chris

#2 mbeychok

mbeychok

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:24 AM

Chris:

The flash point is the lowest temperature at which a liquid gives off enough vapour to form a flammable air-vapour mixture near its surface. The lower the flash point, the greater the fire hazard. The flash point is an approximate value and should not be taken as a sharp dividing line between safe and hazardous conditions. The flash point is determined by a variety of test methods which give different results. Two types of methods are abbreviated as OC (open cup) and CC (closed cup).

I hope that the above definition clarifies it for you.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:06 AM

Excellent, thank you smile.gif apparently though the flashpoint is a function of the vapour pressure and the lower flammable limit, would you know of a way of calculating the flash point based on that data?
Thanks once again

Chris

#4 mbeychok

mbeychok

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:34 PM

I have seen this equation for estimating the flash point of petroleum products (which are hydrocarbon mixtures), but I don't know where it originated or how reliable it is:

Flash point = 0.77(ASTM 5% in °F - 150 °F)

The ASTM 5% refers to the 5 volume % temperature of the ASTM distillation of the petroleum product .

#5 gvdlans

gvdlans

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 619 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:50 PM

For estimating the flash point, you can use following rule of thumb:

The flash point occurs at about the temperature at which the liquid has a vapor pressure equal to the LFL partial pressure.

For example, ethanol has a LFL of 3.3 volume%. The LFL partial pressure is therefore 0.033 atm. The temperature that produces a vapor pressure of 0.033 atm is 11°C, which is the predicted flash point. This is close to the reported flash point of 13°C (see for example NFPA 325).

You can use Antoine equation to find temperature that produces LFL partial pressure.

The above is based on Gooding, Charles H., "Estimating Flash Point and Lower Explosive Limit," Chemical Engineering, December 12, 1983.

Same principle can be used to estimate flash point for mixtures. Then you also have to estimate the LFL of the mixture (e.g. using LeChatelier's Law).

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:24 AM

Gvdlans, exactely what I was searching for thank you.

I'm a bit unsure as to how you have got the partial pressure from the LFL;
is it just LFL/100 ? and would that be the same if my partial pressure values were in kPa?

Thank you, your replies have been very helpfull
Chris

#7 gvdlans

gvdlans

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 619 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:22 PM

Chris,

The LFL partial pressure is LFL (in volume %)/100*atmospheric pressure. So for the example of ethanol with LFL of 3.3 vol%, the LFL partial pressure is 3.3/100 * 1 atm = 0.033 atm or 3.3/100 * 1.013 bar = 0.0334 bar or 3.3/100 * 101.3 kPa = 3.34 kPa etc.

#8 ChemEngg

ChemEngg

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

Dear Jedi,

Can you provide the correlation for LFL of Hydrocarbon mixtures.
Can you provide a sample calculation for Temperature with LFL of the mixture.

Thanks