Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hot Oil (Utility) Cost

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ncarrascob

ncarrascob

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

Dear all,

I will be very grateful to the person who can give me some reference where I can find typical cost of hot oil.

I checked some books but I have not been successful in my search.

Thanks a lot

#2 Erwin APRIANDI

Erwin APRIANDI

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

Hi Neizer,

Is it the cost of the fluid or the cost of the system?
If it is the cost of the fluid I may be able to help you from the reference of previous project
But if it is the system cost, I'm sure it will be depend on the complexity of the system

Edited by erwin.apriandi, 28 February 2011 - 02:45 AM.

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

By "hot oil", I understand it to mean a Heat Transfer Fluid (HTF) - like Dowtherm, for example.

The price (or "cost") of such fluids depends on the market conditions, the quantity, and the supplier (or distributor). There is no one, world-wide "price" of the HTF.

To get a quoted price for the quantity you desire, simple go to: http://www.chillers.com/DowMain.htm

and you can either telphone or email your request.

#4 ncarrascob

ncarrascob

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:25 PM

Dear erwin.apriandi and Art Montemayor.
I really appreciate your help.

Whit "hot oil" I was refering to a Heat Transfer Fluid (HTF) tipically know also as: Heating Oil

What I want is approximate, as those given in the books, for example for a cooling system 0.0150 U.S. $ / MJ
(Chemical engineering design. R. K. Sinnott,John Metcalfe Coulson,John Francis Richardson. Pg. 264), so I suppose that like this, there is a value for the cost of thermal oil as heating medium in U.S.$ / MMBtu or obviously other units.

thanks a lot

Edited by Neizer, 02 March 2011 - 11:29 AM.

#5 Erwin APRIANDI

Erwin APRIANDI

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

Dear Neizer,

I think hot oil (Heat Transfer Fluid) is much more complicated than cooling water and also steam, since you can have various kind of Heat Transfer Fluid (HFT). And the price of these fluid will varies, depend on the characteristic of the fluid, manufacturer of the fluid, and also as Art has brought up the market conditions, the quantity, and the supplier (or distributor).

This is only regarding to the fluid, as for the system it is depend on the complexity of the system. I have made Heating System Comparison study before to determine which heating system is suitable for my plant utilities, and what I have done was to design the entire plant heating system for all the fluid (pressurized water, steam, HTF-1, HFT-2 and HFT-3). And the results are I get different CAPEX and OPEX result for two different kind of Hot Oil (HFT) which is made by the same manufacture.

The reasons are, because sometimes there is cheap Hot Oil (HFT) which is having more degradation rate so you will replace it faster, while there is expensive one with low degradation rate so the lifetime of replacement can be extend.

Therefore if you are trying to make a comparison study for heating medium, I suggest to go more further since even for the steam and cooling water cost it will also depend on the source of raw rawer for the make-up and your operating condition. And also try to consult with the manufacture of the HFT that you preferred for more detail of the fluid.

#6 ncarrascob

ncarrascob

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:11 AM

Dear erwin.apriandi,

I only wanted to know a typical value of said Heat Transfer Fluid for a feasibility study of a fractionating NGL plant. For luck I found an article in Chemical Engineering magazine from April 2006. Where are given some correlations to make a rough estimate of utility cost. You can see this artcicle here:

http://chemeng.mcmas...EngPractice.pdf

I really apreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

Edited by Neizer, 02 March 2011 - 11:29 AM.

#7 Erwin APRIANDI

Erwin APRIANDI

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

Nice info Neizer,

Thank you for sharing.

#8 Duratherm

Duratherm

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

Neizer,

I'm not sure if you're still looking for actual hot oil/heat transfer fluid costs but I can share that within our product line they range from ~$12/gal for a basic hot oil to $60/gal for a specialized silicon based fluid with many price points in between depending on application and specific needs such as flash point, oxidation resistance etc.

Our product line can be found here Duratherm Fluids

If I can be of any technical assistance or you'd like me to connect you with one of our fluid reps just let me know

Mike