Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Control Valve And Pipe Size

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 linda_pro

linda_pro

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:56 AM

Dear all,
I would like to ask you about control valve and pipe size.
I have a control valve for Sea water service, installed on 3 inch pipe, calc Cv is 8. it reduces pressure from 174 barg to 6.9 barg for flushing service.

when i check with Fisher, they said that 3 inch valve size, high pressure trim, 3 stages must be used. The attached file is preliminary sizing and their catalog (the 4 inch inlet/outlet line size are not correct, it should be 3 inch but Fisher confirmed that the results is not change if inlet and outlet line are 3 inch).

It means control valve and line size are the same. I've never seen this case in my previous project and then i would like to ask it can be happend in engineering design.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Many thanks

Linda

Attached Files

#2 katmar

katmar

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 668 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:10 AM

There is no reason why the control valve has to be smaller than the line size. It mostly works out that the valve is smaller, but it doesn't have to be. Your situation is a bit unusual in that to get a Cv of 8 you would normally be looking at a 1/2" or 3/4" valve and the only reason I can see why Fisher have selected such a big valve for you is because of the extremely high pressure drop and they need that body size to fit in the 3 stage trim.

#3 linda_pro

linda_pro

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for your feeback, Katmar.
I've just never seen before then i am a bit worry :D
You are right. The high pressure drop may be the reason of this situation. thanks very much.

#4 joesteam

joesteam

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:09 AM

Linda_pro is correct, the CAV III trim is designed to prevent cavitation by putting the fluid through a number of smaller pressure drops rather than just one large one. So the valve with this trim has a very low Cv compared to the body size. You could actually get the same valve without the CAV III trim that would have a much larger Cv - and you would use a smaller body size - but it would not last long in your application.