Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Transport Of Dangerous Liquids In Public Roads

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:21 PM

I have observed several accidents, having occurred locally in public roads during truck transport of dangerous liquids, like LPG or 98% sulfuric acid. And I have been informed that ADR directive of EU addresses these matters, posing rules for safe truck transportation of dangerous liquids in the roads. I can trace info at http://ec.europa.eu/...r6/index_en.htm. However my information is rather vague, e.g. considering following points.
1. "ADR directive" seems to concern a resolution practice in legal matters, too, as e.g. http://www.asauk.org...drdirective.pdf indicates. Which directive deals mainly with truck transport of dangerous liquids in public roads? Probably 98/91/EC is the most relevant? Does it concern only flammable liquids?
2. What is the essence of legal obligations for the truck owners, is there any real measure in case of truck collision or similar road accident? I have seen a fuel oil truck "ADR testified"; it look "armored", a lot of warning signs, etc. Liquid ammonia trucks seen leave the impression that ammonia could escape in the road in a case of collision.
3. Examples of main technical requirements: should all these trucks have double valves to avoid leaking out? Do liq NH3 or LPG trucks have PSVs and where does the exit of PSVs go? Do they have chassis to limit distortion at a collision?
Clarifications to the above would be highly appreciated, concerning either EU practices or even other recognized relevant practices not named ADR. Just to have a general idea, useful to Process mind. I know that requirements inside premises can be different than in public roads (post concerns public roads).

Edited by kkala, 01 August 2011 - 11:26 PM.

#2 breizhonek

breizhonek

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

ADR is the regulation for the transportation of dangerous goods by road in europe. If you are familiar with dangerous goods regulations, this one is equivalent with usdot rules, with few differences concerning the classification of products, but more differences concerning the packagings ( ie shell thicknesses, working pressures etc..) If you need more info, I can provide you some guidelines and weblinks for the offical regulations. rgds

#3 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:49 AM

Thank you, breizhonek, for the reply. For my knowledge, I would be interested in having a general idea of ADR technical requirements, concerning mainly the transport of dangerous (hazardous) liquids. Like the ones mentioned in previous post. Probably this would be also useful to others.