Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Combustion Calculation Problem

material balance reactors

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 zee

zee

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

I have been stuck with this question for a day now.. and can't figure out how to solve it .. I tried to start with 1 mol/day of waste stream and 1.20 per day of air.... tried doing a mass balance on elements but have gotten no where.. any help would be appreciated at this point

Attached Files

#2 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:24 AM

1. Please show your calculations - if possible in EXCEL for review by experienced engineers.
2. Otherwise we do not know what went wrong.

#3 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:33 AM

I agree with S.AHMAD, besides only through hard individual labor (even with errors) can knowledge be gained. Following remark could be helpful to this direction, in case that confusion is due to CO2/CO mass ratio = 4.
1. Consider 100 kgmol of the mixture and count kgrat of C: 2x3+14x4+36x1+20x2+8x1= 146 kgat C.
2. These are converted into 146 kgmol of CO2 + CO, CO2/CO mass ratio=4. So 104.82 kgmol CO2 and 41.18 kgmol CO will be contained in flue gases (resulting from 100 kgmol of mixture).
3. It is not a matter what compound is burnt to CO2 and what to CO, partially or totally, this does not affect stoichiometry. Consider all compounds (of the 100 kgmol mixture) burnt into 146 kgmol CO at first stage. Then 104.82 kgmol CO is further burnt into CO2 at second stage.
4. As problem points out, excess air will be based on complete burning to CO2.
This may be a way to proceed, present calculations in case of difficulty. Other members may offer useful hints.