Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hysys Simulation Of Waste To Energy Plant

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Rinoy

Rinoy

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:04 AM

Hi All

I am a MSc student in Chemical process design. I was looking at simulating a waste to energy plant in HYSYS. The waste is municipal solid waste (MSW). Incinerator will be used for the burning the waste. Hot gases from the incinerator (1200 oC) will be then recovered in a boiler, which will be passed through an extraction turbine to generate electricity and heat for district heating.

Does anyone know how to simulate this plant on HYSYS or has anyone done something similar. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

My email id is rinoynitt@hotmail.com

Thank You

Regards
Rinoy

#2 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

The problem is that HYSYS alone cannot predict the composition of the combustion gases. While you could characterize the feedstock as a hypothetical component, it would be essentially impossible to accurately estimate the heat of combustion or the flue gas composition. The combustion reactions will have kinetically limited steps, due to the complexity of the feedstock. Therefore a free energy minimization method wouldn't predict the correct composition. It may get close, but that depends on the feedstock, combustion chamber residence time and more.

When I did a waste to energy plant a number of years ago we ran pilot tests with actual trash from the region to get a reliable estimate of the thermal and chemical results of combustion.

#3 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:11 AM

Hi,
The straight answer is no. Understand/study the combustion of this waste outside Hysys. The resultant off gas (provided you know in&out of it) can be used to model turbine in Hysys.

#4 Rinoy

Rinoy

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

Thx a lot for the replies.. I have managed to create the plant in Hysys and it shows pretty good comparison with the actual plant..

Regards
Rinoy