Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Antoine Parameter For Biphenyl

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Guest_Jack_*_*

Guest_Guest_Jack_*_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:06 PM

I am looking for the Antoine parameters for Biphenyl or Diphenyl. I know the pressure at the bottoms of the distillation column and need to find the temperature there. The mixture in the bottoms is primarily 33% Toluene and 66% BiPhenyl/Diphenyl. Surprisingly, I wasn't able to find in the Perry's Handbook or in any of the texts I have. I wonder if the Antoine parameters exists for Biphenyl. If anyone knows where to find them or what they are (and the units) please post that info.

Thanks!

#2 mbeychok

mbeychok

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:50 PM

Jack:

It took about 3 minutes of searching for the key words "biphenyl" and "vapor pressure" using Google to find these two vapor pressure calculators, both of which included Biphenyl (C12H10):

Click here ==> www.s-ohe.com/Biphenyl_cal.html published by Shuzo Ohe

Click here ==> www.higgins.ucdavis.edu/webMathematica/MSP/Examples/VaporPressures published by Brian Higgins of the University of California at Davis

Since I don't trust online calculators to be correct, I checked the above two against each other at 3 different temperatures and they gave virtually the same answers. Then I looked up the boiling point of Biphenyl at 1 atmosphere (in the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics) which was 255.9 °C. Ohe's calculator gave the vapor pressure at 255.9 °C as being 1.015 atmosphere, and Higgins' calculator also gave the vapor pressure as 1.015 atmosphere. So I concluded that the two calculators were trustworthy.

Higgins' calculator not only gives you the vapor pressure for a specified temperature, it also gives you the Antoine coefficients that it used and in the units that you specify.

I really don't understand why you didn't use Google yourself.