Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Fusel Oil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Samir Gupta

Samir Gupta

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:31 AM

Fusel oil is poduced as a by product in cane molasses based fermentation plant and subsequent recovery of Rectified Spirit or Industrial Alcohol through distillation.
The fusel oul contains mainly Amyl Alcohol (70-75%) and balance higher alcohols.
Can somebody help in separating amyl alcohol from the fusel oil. The qty of fusel oil is approximately 1000 kg/hr.
Thanks in advance.

#2 Samir Gupta

Samir Gupta

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:12 AM

Dear Mr Montemayor
I thought you would be able to atleast give me some clue about the subject. I am still waiting for a reply...

Warm regards and thanks in advance
Samir

#3 Guest_flavoryou_*

Guest_flavoryou_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (Samir Gupta @ Jan 13 2006, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Mr Montemayor
I thought you would be able to atleast give me some clue about the subject. I am still waiting for a reply...

Warm regards and thanks in advance
Samir

Depending on your distillation equipment, you should be able to fraction out the Amyl alcohol through a refinement in how you process your distillate. In order to fraction out the Amyl (2-Methel-1-Butanol) from the Isoamyl, propanol and other fusels, you need to have many plates (40 plus) with the ability to draw off fractions at each specific plates. If you do not have this ability, try and separate the fractions by controlling the output alcohol percentage to best match the boiling points of your desired fractions. Use this study to help dial in what your median temp. and subsequent alcohol percentage draw off of the back end is to achieve your desired lower Amyl levels. IE. you might have to draw off a little slower or run your condensor a little more to help fraction in the column. Just copy and paste this link below. The data in Table 1 and 2 should be of some help for this.

http://www.chemeng.t...aper/active.doc

#4 pawan

pawan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:27 AM

I am also looking for Extractive separation methods for separating Amyl alcohol from fusel oil.

#5 haih5

haih5

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

I am also looking for Extractive separation methods for separating Amyl alcohol from fusel oil.

Hello

I'm simulating a tower to fracture out Ethanol (93.8%mass) on top, Fusel in the middle tower from mash luiquid with 45.316%Alcohol. But I don't have a typical composition of Fusel.
Could you help me, please?

#6 zehuachem

zehuachem

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:28 AM

Fusel oil is poduced as a by product in cane molasses based fermentation plant and subsequent recovery of Rectified Spirit or Industrial Alcohol through distillation.
The fusel oul contains mainly Amyl Alcohol (70-75%) and balance higher alcohols.
Can somebody help in separating amyl alcohol from the fusel oil. The qty of fusel oil is approximately 1000 kg/hr.
Thanks in advance.

Samir,

If you can give some more information on the content of feed and product specification. We can do a simulation and give some suggestion to you. Our company is doing the process simulation and seperation equipment design. Please send these data to my email Johnhuang@zehua-chem.com
You can visit our website www.zehua-chem.com

John