Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Dilution Of Phosphate Injection Package

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 gimenz

gimenz

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:26 AM

Good day everyone.

I would like to seek for your advise.

In the unit I am working with, we have 3 kettle-type steam generator.

And we inject phosphate injection in each exchangers continuously.

In the Phosphate Injection P&ID we have, we supply BFW to the chemical drum

for dilution. (BFW, 110 C @ 18.0kg/cm2G)

Now, I was asked why are we using BFW instead of Demin water. In our unit we dont have Demin water header and we don't have users for Demin water.

My question is that,

is there a difference if dilution is done with 110 C BFW instead of Demin water which has temperature around 40C.

Phosphate Injection Package datasheet specify chemical storage drum to be at ATM and ambient temperature.

Thank you for taking your time.

Sincerely,

gimenz

#2 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

Doesnt the water for the steam generation come from the boiler feedwater which in turn comes from demin water? How can there be no users of demin water then? This seems very weird... So where does all the water that goes to your boiler come from?

#3 gimenz

gimenz

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

the unit i am working with is delayed coker unit.. we received boiler feed water from U&O unit, recovered the heat because delayed coker unit is working with high temperatures and generate medium pressure steam on the process.  Other units aside from delayed coker have Demin water users. I just learned after reviewing the utility summary for the delayed coker unit that we don't have demin water users.

#4 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:50 AM   Best Answer

The drum probably isnt designed for hot boiling water. Some of the water will flash off upon going into the drum. The pump probably isnt for designed for pumping such hot fluids. You could end up having a broken pump and seals and parts after sometime.

Perhaps you could get a small plate exchanger to cool the bfw down before dilution. Just a suggestion. Otherwise, if its not really that far, you could build the pipe for the demin water.

Edited by thorium90, 24 May 2013 - 02:53 AM.

#5 gimenz

gimenz

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

Mr. thorium90 sir, thank you for advice! i believe your suggestion of putting up a demin header will be better to avoid problems in the tank and pump.