Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Saturate Stream Using Hysys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ChemicalEnggPM

ChemicalEnggPM

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

Dear All-

I am struggling with saturating a stream in HYSYS using ADJUST. I have a predefined (temp, press, composition known) dry gas stream. Defined a water stream at same temperature and pressure and picked a flow say 100 lbs/hr. Put it in a mixer and downstream a 3 phase separator.

Now I want to use Adjust so that HYSYS tells me how much water do I need to saturate this gas stream at conditions downstream of the mixer. A crude way would be to keep changing the water flow, unless and until you start see some dropout free water.

But how do you use ADJUST in this case. Please see the attached simulation, wher I have specified the taget value of the dropout as 30 lbs/hr, while i still just see 9.61 lbs/hr of water.

What am i doing wrong?

comments will be greatly appreciated..

Attached Files

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

Just simply mix the stream with water, heat it to the desired temperature, separate water, or simply look at the vapor phase composition.

Bobby

#3 ChemicalEnggPM

ChemicalEnggPM

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

Bobby-

Thanks for responding. Well my question actually is trying to understand how does ADJUST work in HYSYS? Saturating stream with water is just an example i picked up. I understand how you can make a stream saturated, but actually how do you use ADJUST tool to do that?

hope i explained it better this time..thanks once again for taking time to respond..

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Just fill in the blanks in the dialog.

Bobby

#5 Dazzler

Dazzler

Gold Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

When I have wanted to saturate a stream with water, I turn on and use the UTILITY in Hysys called SATURATE I think.  Its icon looks like the head of a garden watering can with droplets coming out of it.  This utility may make it all easier.  You can also set the percent saturated or relative humidity.

Dazzler

#6 ChemicalEnggPM

ChemicalEnggPM

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

Dazzler thanks for suggesting the Utility, Saturate Link. Yeah I agree this makes things much more simpler, as you can also set % Relative humidity.

#7 pavanayi

pavanayi

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 258 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:36 AM

Be aware though!

The saturate utility does not heat balance properly. Take care when using it.