Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Get Start Hysys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 huseyin ergin erdogdu

huseyin ergin erdogdu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:36 AM

i am trying to learn HYSYS and found some documents about hysys, but it is not easy to understand them because i have never use hysys before so its hard to learn it...
is tehere anyone to know hysys and suggest me how to learn hysys... if there is any useful documents about hysys, share us please!..

#2 Ankur Shah

Ankur Shah

Gold Member

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:07 PM

hey!

i guess this is your second post on this topic wink.gif

alright. about hysys, i shall tell you what i did. i switched it on. made a new 'case', chose a 'fluid package', added some 'components' and enterd the simulation environment.

after that its all games! just fiddle around with it and you shall be fine. smile.gif if any specific help, mail or PM me or post back smile.gif

Ankur

#3 huseyin ergin erdogdu

huseyin ergin erdogdu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:34 PM

i have repeat my problem again, i dont know anythink about hysys and i have to learn it for graduation smile.gif i am in trouble tongue.gif so i need help realy. i did something on program but i can not continue on it. i made a new case, chose fluid pacage and added some components but i cant going on... have you got any documents about this?

By the way if you need my msn accound i write it down
erginerdogdu@hotmail.com
u can add me or send mail.
thanks for relation

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:43 AM

hi, everyone.

i am newcomer.

i try to study hysys. and i know a little news about it.However, i am completing a unit or treating fresh water unit. so, it is just only simply. i met some troubles in design, and i hope that everyone help me. If anyone has documents or exercises, pls share for me.
Thanks for your help.
thank you very much

#5 Ankur Shah

Ankur Shah

Gold Member

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:34 PM

alright alright!!!

here you go http://users.rowan.e...keth/HYSYS.html

http://www.owlnet.ri.../hysys/pfex.htm

enjoy! mail back for specifc querries.

Ankur

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:42 PM

Hi,

I have attached the case studies for HYSYS.

It's quite simple to learn using the manual.

Rgds,

Narayanan

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:42 PM

Hi,

I have attached the case studies for HYSYS.

It's quite simple to learn using the manual.

Rgds,

Narayanan

Attached Files

#8 Ankur Shah

Ankur Shah

Gold Member

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

hey!

Mr Narayanan, somehow the pdf doesnt seem to work. may you upload again?

thanks!

Ankur

#9 huseyin ergin erdogdu

huseyin ergin erdogdu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:55 PM

i guess that document is very useful but i can not open it, i guess it has problem when it was downloaded. please upload it again... thans for helps
i promise if i will learn to use hysys i am gonna help all of you, but i can not learn it yet smile.gif but am working on it
i need all of your helps smile.gif

#10 joerd

joerd

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:42 AM

Once you have set up the fluid package (like Peng Robinson), and added components to it, your "simulation basis" is complete. Next thing is to press the PFD button (looks like a distillation column) -- or from the menu, pick Basis - Leave Basis Environment, or press "Ctrl-L" --, and you'll be in the main simulation environment. From the palette, you can add unit operations and streams, and specify them by double clicking. If you have specific questions, just ask!

#11 huseyin ergin erdogdu

huseyin ergin erdogdu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:42 AM

actually i learn something about hysys but there still big anknown tkink for me, these are PFD stage. i can set up fluid pacage and seleck components but i dont know how to use them. i dont know where am i put boiler mixer pump etc... and how long i permit operation goes on. i try to learn all of this. i got manuels about hysy. if anyone need this documents just send me msg...
by the way thanks for help joerd. i am sure about i need your help as soon as possible. if you want to help me please add me on msn messenger. my e-mail address is erginerdogdu@hotmail.com

#12 Ankur Shah

Ankur Shah

Gold Member

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:29 PM

i guess the manuals that are available are very very basic. you shall be able to solve your problems very easily through them.

ALso, you can add streams, pumps, etc by simply clicking on the appropiate button on the panel bar on the right (if it doesnt come, then hit F4.)

some simple ground rules. eveyr equipment must have an input and outlet stream. add thos appropiately. HYSYS is very clever and hence shall solve your given conditions very fast. PM me if u need anything specific.

Ankur

P>S: THIS POST MADE ME A ChE Jedi !!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ ... MODS, ADMINS, BE CAREFUL!!! HERE I COME!!!!! biggrin.gif Enjoy ppls!!!!

#13 huseyin ergin erdogdu

huseyin ergin erdogdu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:24 PM

i am just start reading the manuels. i finished the first part which is get start now i am reading second part which is user guid. i will ask you some question after i fineshed to read manuels. at that time it will be useful for me.
can you give your mail ankur?

#14 Ankur Shah

Ankur Shah

Gold Member

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:40 PM

mail me at ankurshah@iitb.ac.in or PM me on yahoo on ankurkkshah

good luck!

Ankur

#15 huseyin ergin erdogdu

huseyin ergin erdogdu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:03 AM

thanks ankur i will write mail for you as soon as possible. i am looking for new subject which is experimental methods in mechanics. this is my graduation thesis subject. do you know anythink about this?

#16 gatty

gatty

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:44 AM

I WOULD BE GREATFUL IF SOMEONE CAN PROVIDE ME WITH HYSYS SOFTWARE .....OR TELL ME SOME SOURCE

Gatty & All Others participating in this thread:

As a Moderator on this Forum, I feel responsible for any mentioning or attempts to violate, by-pass, or plainly disregard any existing copy right laws involving Software (especially expensive engineering software) and other written materials. This, in any culture or organized society is plain STEALING and, as such, strictly illegal and immoral.

If you feel morally exempted because you are from a poor country and you lack the resources to legally obtain engineering software or books, it is your priviledge to feel that way. However, it does not give you the right to steal another engineer's intellectual property for your own profit or gain. I could also feel slighted by society because I can't afford my own, personal copy of Aspen or HySys - mainly because I was born poor and the eldest of 9 children. And I also "rightuously" feel that if anyone deserves a "complimentary" free copy of these softwares, then I certainly do --- long before any of you! I take this self-imposed priviledge because of my seniority, my experience, my superior brain, my superior dancing abilities, and my superior good looks! Does everyone note how ludicrous and silly my previous comments are? The point I am trying to make with my ridiculous statements is a sample of what anyone's excuses would sound like upon trying to justify the pilferage of engineering software. Besides being totally illegal, it just isn't morally right and against any engineering ethics. We can't have professional respect for each other if we don't respect those beyond our priviledged circle of engineering.

I am posting this message in this edited post in order to openly serve notice that I will act directly on any future attempts to foster, foment, or propogate the illegal transmission of pilfered software. I will not allow this Forum to become an illegal brokerage site for stolen software. I hope I've made my point and if Chris Haslego happens to see this he can communicate with me immediately regarding this stand that I take.

Your Moderator,

Art Montemayor

#17 huseyin ergin erdogdu

huseyin ergin erdogdu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 01:55 PM

what do you want? hysys programme or manuels of hysys... if you want some documents please PM

Please read my statement above.

Art Montemayor

#18 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:47 AM

'huseyin ergin erdogdu'

Hi,... there i am a student of ME chemical engg, MSU of baroda. i just have checked the conversation of u guys.
I really thankful if u send me HYSIS software.

my address:
Jetul Patel
c-79, Manorath soc,
New sama road
sama road
Baroda-390008
Gujarat-india.

thanks a lot

Please read my statement above.

Art Montemayor

#19 Ankur Shah

Ankur Shah

Gold Member

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (gatty @ Mar 19 2006, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I WOULD BE GREATFUL IF SOMEONE CAN PROVIDE ME WITH HYSYS SOFTWARE .....OR TELL ME SOME SOURCE

umm.. HYSYS has been taken over by AspenTech. So if you want HYSYS, contact them on www.aspentech.com .

Ankur biggrin.gif

#20 Guest_vikas kapoor_*

Guest_vikas kapoor_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

[
helloo...i m vikas kapoor
if u have any problem with learning hysy then u can send me ur queries..i will try to sort them out..
i did my 6month project on hysys in which I also carried out dynamic simulation and i m much comfortable with it so i would b happy if i can help u ppl..
bye..and have a nice day
u can mail me at vikas189@gmail.com

#21 huseyin ergin erdogdu

huseyin ergin erdogdu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:14 AM

hi vikas kapoor, i am very happy to see your message because i am try to do project, but i could not do anythink.

i am working on to use '' distillation alkali katalist system '' at hysys and transform any oil to biodiesel. it does not matter oil type. it would be canola or any other thing. can you solve this problem? if you can i am very grateful to you.
you wrote you know to use hysys please do it for me and send me document. this is very important for me... thanks for all

if there is any person that answer this problem please send it to me

my e-mail address: erginerdogdu@hotmail.com

#22 huseyin ergin erdogdu

huseyin ergin erdogdu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:01 AM

hi everyone...

i have to solve problem with use distillation alkaly katalyst system on hysys... any oil selected but canola oil is prefered. does anyone can solve ? if you can do please send me mail

erginerdogdu@hotmail.com

#23 joerd

joerd

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 371 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:03 AM

Dear Huseyin
The reason no one has responded to your question is that it probably is not specific enough. If you are looking for a process concept, Hysys is not going to help you. Hysys can only do the material and energy balances for you, but you have to define the process yourself. If there are reactions involved, you'll have to specify them yourself. If there is a distillation, you will have to provide the product specifications. Then Hysys can do the calculations for you, give you reboiler / condenser duty, even tray sizing if you like.
In summary, if you have a specific question, the people on this forum will be very glad to help, but your question is just too broad. Also, try to think of a clear, to-the-point subject line. You might scare away people that could help you.

#24 huseyin ergin erdogdu

huseyin ergin erdogdu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:48 AM

hi everyone i need to simulate a biosiesel plant by using hysys. i choose virgin oils thats the easiest way to produce. the way i need to follow is attached from the bottom. is tehere anyone help me?

http://www.studio255.....- process.pdf

#25 Radionise

Radionise

Gold Member

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:32 AM

Dude....

The published paper that you provided already tells you how the author simulated the biodiesel production using HYSYS. And to be honest, the paper is very very much complete, and very much easily understood in the way how they actually did the simulation. The paper already tells you their assumptions, which I would recommend you to follow because you want a simplified simulation. They even mentioned that triolein is used to represent canola oil. So you don't even need to create a hypothetical component! They also told you before hand what is the capacity of production that they want by the end of the day.

Honestly, I myself still yet can't see the real problem statement in your question.

But a quick glance through this thread tell me something clear, the problem is NOT about flowsheeting the the process in HYSYS, but is about using HYSYS in general.

So if that is the case, I highly suggest that you get some reading and practice materials on how to use hysys and perform some basic simulations first. Jus try to put the biodiesel simulation aside. You can't shoot a dear, what more to say to eat it, if you don't know how to operate the gun.

There is no good way to learn a simulation than to get someone to actually demonstrate some basic simulation methods to you. Self taught is good, but not effective in seeing the real challenge of simulation, especially HYSYS. If you have used Design II or ChemCad before, you may experience culture shock when you switch to HYSYS because of the real-time simulation.

People always taught that simulation can easily solve all the process synthesis problem for them.. That's not right. A simulation is a tool, not a problem solver. You as the user are the problem solver. And after reading the paper from the link that you have given, again, I think that the author have been really careful in synthesing the process, and was successful in summarising their deeds and assumptions and goals, yet in a very simple way.

But just to tell you briefly and very very generally,

1. Decide on your production target and specification, then do a mass balance and get the amount of raw material required. Let's face it, you still need to do some calculations manually before letting HYSYS help you out.

2. Select the proper fluid package. It is already being told in the paper.

3. When you are synthesising the process, follow the onion model:
-your reactor (in this case simply just a conversion reactor)
-recycle and separation process
-heat integration
-utility

4. For the distillation column at the end of the flowsheet, use a shortcut column first to determine some key parameters that you need, i.e. number of stages and reflux ratio. Then replace it with real distillation column.

I don't know what else to include to help you. But let me ask you this question first:

Do you know how to use the Adjustor and Recycle Unit in HYSYS? If the answer is no, then do some homework on HYSYS first before you proceed with the biodiesel synthesis from canola oil simulation.

The link to the paper posted by huseyin is at

http://www.studio255.....- process.pdf