Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Saturated Steam

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Andaleeb_*

Guest_Andaleeb_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:20 AM

Hello
I wonder some time about the word saturated
when it's used in terms of saturated air its means air having moisture, dpened upon the relative humidity, if the percentage relative humidity is 100% its mean that your air is saturated, and your dry bulb and wet bulb temperature is same. My question is what is meaning of saturated water,
as i read when vapor pressure equals to the atmospheric pressure the liquid boils. by increasing the atmospheric pressure the boiling point of the liquid also rises, and vice-versa ,
1)I want to know what is the property of water over 100 degree celsius, like 104 degree and so on?
2)What will be it's pressure?
3) What is saturated steam?
4) what is super saturated steam?
5) what is super heated steam?
Thankyou for answering some basic and stupid questions

please tell me the difference b/w all of these steams
saturated stteam
superheated steam
or any other steam?

#2 Adriaan

Adriaan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:09 PM

For water / steam calculations I suggest you get the excellent Excel plug-in from the main Cheresources site. With it you can find (with a little effort because you have to convert units) the answers to your other questions.

Super heated steam is steam that has a higher temperature than saturated steam of the same pressure; the main reasons to use superheated steam are that it prevents condensation (which could otherwise occur with even a small energy loss) and that the steam carries more energy that way.

Saturated steam is "dry steam", steam that has no water in it. I agree that the name is a bit confusing (its the same in Dutch; verzadigde stoom).

The reason you do not want any water in your steam system - in industrial use - is that the steam will flow at QUITE a high velocity, even more so in a steam turbine. At atmospheric pressure 1 volume unit of water will produce roughly 3600 volume units of steam. Using that ballpark figure I think you'll understand that if there is water in the steam those water droplets would act like bullets (high density relative to the density of the steam, moving at speed), damaging equipment.

Many turbines (turbines with a vacuum condensor) ARE designed in such a way that the "used" steam contains some water (up to about 10 %). The reason for this is that the condensation energy of that steam / water is used and thus gives a more energy efficient system.