Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Build A Plant Using Hysys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 huseyin ergin erdogdu

huseyin ergin erdogdu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:35 PM

hi all....

i am working on a project that about HYSYS. here has a example of my project and it made before but i cant add hypothetical and reaxions correctly. if anyone can use HYSYS that can easly make this. please dowload the document and check it. i try to make figure 2 that about acid catalzed process to produce biodiesel from virgin oil. canola is selected here and all documents that needed are given, and it solved before on the document you can easly fallow the way. you can modify my project or built new one to add component hypotheticals and reaction. it must be run on dynamic state.
please check this and PM me or mail to me...

mail : erginerdogdu@hotmail.com

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i3xuzo

#2 Radionise

Radionise

Gold Member

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:51 AM

Huseyin,

In reference to the paper that you attached earlier, I believe these are the hypothetical components that you have to create, I list this out to simplify other forumers job in responding to your question:

triolein, calcium oxide, calcium sulfate,
phosphoric acid and sodium phosphate

First,

To do so, when you are still in the 'basis environment' of HYSYS, click on the hypothetical tab, and then click on 'add'. Define a group name, and afterward select the appropriate component class. You have to group the components above as organic or inorganic. Certainly they are not hydrocarbon.

Click on 'add hypo'. Give each component a name. And you must provide at least,
-the normal boiling point
-molecular weight
-liquid density of the component
for each component.

Once you have defined all components, click back on the 'components' tab. Select 'Component List 1' and click 'view'. Select 'hypotheticals' and select all the components and add them!

That's more or less about it on how to define hypothetical components. You have to do your homework to find out what are the physical properties of those components (i.e. NBP, MW and density).

About the reaction set-up, the paper mentioned again that it is a simple conversion reaction. The step by step guide to that can be found in HYSYS documentation itself. So do read it.

As a whole, I believe I have given you my best advice in your previous thread, recommending you to find a fellow student in your school or uni who knows about HYSYS, to assist you in doing this.

And again and again, I stress that you just need to run this in steady-state, not dynamic state. I believe you are not evaluating on the process control or valve sizing.

If by all means you need to have a simulation exactly like the one in the research paper set up for your work, it will be a long and hard way to go my friend, believe me. For I believe they even used sub-flowsheet to simulate it due to the need to switch between the thermodynamic package for some of the unit operation. In fact, I would suggest you to simplify the whole simulation by just considering the main reaction and forget about the hypotheticals. But, please do not expect the forumers to do the homework for you.

As indicated by myself and joerd in your previous thread, I am still curious why on earth would the academic staff give such a task to you. I feel that this is unfair because you are not expected to know about HYSYS. You should stand up and justify to them about the speciality or even limit of your knowledge man.

#3 huseyin ergin erdogdu

huseyin ergin erdogdu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:26 AM

my teacher is study on fuel analyses and he gave me this project because hysys is interested biodiesel. i am sure that he doesnt know how to use hysys, and he will use my project later. but i cant protest him about this project. beacuse if i wont finish this project he will not graduate me. so i have to built this simulation bases. i learn hysys but i need chemical knowledge. for example i know how to add hypothetical and uses them but i dont know normal boiling point, liquid density and structural formula of compomenents. i am looking for them on the internet, if you know the datas please send them to me.

i wonder am i have to separete the component and am i have to use more than 2 fluid pacage ? NaOH is not suitable for NRTL and UNIQUAC, thus i select the extended NRTL. is it suitable for all components and reactions?

i will do the project at the beginning. this is the truth way i guess. its hard to modify it. so my first mission is to add components and hypothetical, select suitable fluid pacage and add reaxions. thesee are the first way i will fallow. so you can give me informations about them and can give me the idea about this. i can send what was i do and you can check and corrected them. ok?

#4 Radionise

Radionise

Gold Member

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:55 PM

Honestly, a simulation is only as good as it is when the inputs are realistic.

However, as I mention earlier, you may want to simplify your simulation and just use one fluid package that would give a reasonably accurate simulation. You would have to decide on your own if the deviation from the 'real' condition can be tolerated.

Try find a book called 'Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook' in your library. It may contain some of the information that you need.

In the paper, it mentioned that the hypothetical components were created based on the work by Zhang (2000), which is this...

"Zhang, Y., 2002. Design and economic assessment of biodiesel
production from waste cooking oil. M.A.Sc. thesis, Department
of Chemical Engineering, University of Ottawa."

If you could by any mean get that thesis, your life will be simplified. But I doubt if that would be possible. However, try to email the author and ask him specifically how he/she defined the hypotheticals.

Email him and give it a try.

#5 huseyin ergin erdogdu

huseyin ergin erdogdu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:37 PM

i make something about my project. i added the components and hypothetical, but i could not determine hypotheticals. i made it on pfd but i did not determine values of steams because i did not enter the reactions. if any one want to fill my missing parameters i will be happy about this. thanks for now!
document is at the bottom please download it and check it...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gthusa

#6 huseyin ergin erdogdu

huseyin ergin erdogdu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:45 AM

here is the all informations about my project, i made something but i stuck on distillation. please download the file and try to solve problem for me. you can find all values that you need. i try to make figure 2 alkali-catalyzed process to produce biodiesel from virgin oils.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/r6nclc

#7 asim_umer

asim_umer

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:19 PM

Hi,

Please send me your simulation files for biodiesel.

Thanks

Asim Umer
asimumer@gmail.com

#8 haih5

haih5

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:59 AM

I'm a student and I'm interested in Hypothetical component too. Could you resend to me your file: plustwoh5@gmail.com

#9 Maabdolat

Maabdolat

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

I'm a student and I'm interested in Hypothetical component too. Could you resend to me your file: maabdolat@gmail.com

it will be a great favour