Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Well Head Compressor Slug Catcher And Blow Case>

art montemayor ankur2061 fallah

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Ahsan67

Ahsan67

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:17 PM

Hi,

I am working on evaluation of existing slug catcher and blow case vessel, for this i need to do some hydraulics for finding out the flows through existing piping as well.There are basically four lines, two liquid lines and two gas lines,i have done calculations for liquid lines but for the gas line i am facing difficulties.

1- Equalization line 

This line is connected from blow case to slug catcher(operating at 400 psig) and is required to depressurize blow case vessel from 1150 to 400 psig approx. with in the time delay period of 10 sec. the blow case gas volume is 3.24 m3. The line size is 1" ( Schedule -160), length is 5577mm and its elevation difference is 2390 mm.

2- Pressurization line

This line is connected to blow case from process gas (operating at 1150 psig) and is required to pressurize the blow case vessel from 400 to 1150 psig approx. with in the time delay period of 10 sec. the blow case gas volume is 0.124 m3 (pressurizing else is filled with liquid) The line size is 1" ( Schedule -160), length is 5262 mm and its elevation difference is 1278 mm.

The gas molar composition is as below

90%  methane

4.5% Ethane

1.5 % Propane

0.3 % i-Butane
0.4 % n-Butane  and small amount of others

i am looking for guidance to evaluate these lines and to size these lines for my self 

Regards

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:49 PM

Maybe you should show us what you have done. And, remember, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Bobby

#3 Ahsan67

Ahsan67

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:33 PM

Mr.Bobby Strain

Maybe you should show us what you have done. And, remember, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Bobby

Please find attach P&ID of this system

Ahsan

Attached Files

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:37 PM

You are going to have to do a lot of work. If you have a dynamic simulator capable of modelling piping systems, it will provide accuracy. But you can build your own model and calculate the flow in the system in increments. This should get you close enough. But, if this system is working already, I would look for more useful endeavors. Or, you can ask the equipment designer to submit calculations for your review if the installation is new.

Good luck.

Bobby