Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Green Energy ...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 engware

engware

Gold Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:46 PM

To All:

Green energy is electricity generated primarily from renewable energy resources such as: solar, wind, geothermal, biomass, biofuel and hydro -- according to some sources, nuclear energy can be considered as green energy.

Conventional energy (electricity) generation, based on the combustion of fossil fuels, is one of largest sources of air pollution. As more green energy sources are developed and introduced into the commercial power generation arena, the overall environmental impacts associated with electricity generation will be significantly reduced (less emissions and greenhouse gases released in the atmosphere resulting in reduced global warming impact).

I would like to invite both Forum members and visitors to start a discussion on Green Energy -- ask questions of interest, share knowledge and experience related to Green Energy (global warming, both present and future potential, benefits and commercialization issues can be considered).

Also, everybody is welcome to contribute to the Green Energy topic.

Thanks,

Gordan

Below are a few plots related to combustion -- complete combustion of carbon, hydrogen, sulfur, coal, oil and gas with air at standard conditions (298 [K] and 1 [atm]) with no heat loss and stoichiometric conditions.

#2 Lugano Wilson

Lugano Wilson

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:44 AM

comrades,

i have seen many literatures mentioning that biomass energy (it be combustion, gasification, pyrolysis, etc) is CARBONDIOXIDE NEUTRAL. chemically speaking what does this mean?

would request your technical contribution on this. any good references?

have a good day.

Lugano

QUOTE (engware @ Jun 24 2006, 05:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To All:

Green energy is electricity generated primarily from renewable energy resources such as: solar, wind, geothermal, biomass, biofuel and hydro -- according to some sources, nuclear energy can be considered as green energy.

Conventional energy (electricity) generation, based on the combustion of fossil fuels, is one of largest sources of air pollution. As more green energy sources are developed and introduced into the commercial power generation arena, the overall environmental impacts associated with electricity generation will be significantly reduced (less emissions and greenhouse gases released in the atmosphere resulting in reduced global warming impact).

I would like to invite both Forum members and visitors to start a discussion on Green Energy -- ask questions of interest, share knowledge and experience related to Green Energy (global warming, both present and future potential, benefits and commercialization issues can be considered).

Also, everybody is welcome to contribute to the Green Energy topic.

Thanks,

Gordan

[color=#3333FF]

#3 engware

engware

Gold Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:09 AM

Hi Lugano:

Thanks for your post.

Here are a few useful URLs when dealing with green energy:

RenewableEnergyAccess.com
http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com

US Department of Energy -- Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
http://www.eere.energy.gov

In my opinion, biomass is CO2 neutral because the amount of carbon/carbon dioxide that gets released by burning biomass later on gets absorbed when producing/generating biomass type fuel. The cycle is overall CO2 neutral, which is very important in dealing with the global warming issues -- there is no accumulation and additional generation od CO2 in the atmosphere when burning biomass and/or using biomass as the fuel.

Thanks,

Gordan

#4 Lugano Wilson

Lugano Wilson

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:27 AM

Dear Gordan,

thanks for the info and useful links that provide the required details.

thanks.

Lugano

QUOTE (engware @ Jun 30 2006, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Lugano:

Thanks for your post.

Here are a few useful URLs when dealing with green energy:

RenewableEnergyAccess.com
http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com

US Department of Energy -- Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
http://www.eere.energy.gov

In my opinion, biomass is CO2 neutral because the amount of carbon/carbon dioxide that gets released by burning biomass later on gets absorbed when producing/generating biomass type fuel. The cycle is overall CO2 neutral, which is very important in dealing with the global warming issues -- there is no accumulation and additional generation od CO2 in the atmosphere when burning biomass and/or using biomass as the fuel.

Thanks,

Gordan

#5 engware

engware

Gold Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:05 PM

Lugano:

No problem.

Thanks,

Gordan

#6 anand

anand

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:07 AM

i have a few thoughts which i want to discuss

1. the more efficient we make the systems the more does the power consumption increase

2. also since we are 'tapping' the energy from sources like wind, solar etc it may later turn out that this is interfering with vital mechanisms.

3. finally the main soln to energy crunch is not to increase its availability but decrese its consumption. (NOT USE)
there are many things we dont need and there is a limit to how much we have.

WE HAVE NOT INHERITED THE EARTH FROM OUR FOREFATHERS WE OWE IT TO OUR FUTURE GENERATIONS.

pls guide me

anand

#7 engware

engware

Gold Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

Anand:

You are making some interesting points.

I do like the way how you approach the energy problems.

I do believe that by using renewable energy and generating hydrogen for the purpose of hydrogen economy will provide sustainable development.

Thanks,

Gordan