Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Why Chemical Dosing Tanks Are Horizontal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 milankamat

milankamat

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:07 AM

Dear all,

I am a project engineer. Recently, in one of our brownfield EPC project, we were contemplating installation of chemical dosing tanks ( 3 m dia x 4 m length) in a vertical configuration, as there was a space limitation. We were prepared to 

bear all the costs related to increased shelter height on account of the vertical configuration.

The client flatly refused and stated that as per good engineering practice; the dosing tanks have to be horizontal.

We, the EPC contractors, had no option but to negotiate and purchase small portion of land from the adjoining organisation (in order to accommodate the horizontal tanks) ;as the locations of the tanks on the approved congested plot plan was at the edge of the plot

For my academic knowledge, I hereby request the forum members to please advise me the reasons for having the dosing tanks in a hoizontal configuration.

Thank you.

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:04 AM

Hi,

As far as I know, there is no specific criteria to select the horizontal/vertical configuration for the tanks of chemical dosing. Please ask the client to provide a valid reference in which it's shown the horizontal configuration is preferable...

#3 milankamat

milankamat

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:23 AM

Dear Fallah,

Thanks for your reply

This project was in middle east. 

Based on the client response, we consulted a few skid suppliers in the middle east. But, they also said that they generally supply horizontal oriented dosing tanks. These suppliers are mostly sales orineted agents of the manufacturers in europe and usa and they are not so technically knowledgeable. 

Ultimately, the client is not only highly reputed in the middle east but also has many epc projects in the pipeline. Hence, our management thought it prudent to go ahead with the client's opinion.

Out of curiosity, i wanted to know whether there is any reason for having the dosing tanks in horizontal orientation.

Forum members opinion is requested please.

Thanks

#4 Raman Ramanjaneyulu

Raman Ramanjaneyulu

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:26 AM

Iam hearing first time like this concept.

since yours is an EPC firm,  you can refer Codes and standards and can give  the standard practice to the client.

#5 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:49 PM

There is no code or engineering practice that dictates tank shape or orientation, or materials of construction. You could have a sphere or a pyramid if you wished. For your case, however, you should apply the golden rule. "The client has the gold so he makes the rules".

Bobby

#6 Napo

Napo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:28 AM

Milankamat,

They are recommendations in the book: “Chemical Process Equipment Selection and Design” by Stanley M. Walas, Published by Butterworth-Heinemann, Boston,1990.

1. For less than 1000 gal, use vertical tanks on legs.

2. Between 1000 and 10,000 gal, use horizontal tanks on concrete supports.

3. Beyond 10,000 gal, use vertical tanks on concrete foundations.

In the Chemical Engineers´ Handbook by John Perry, 4th. Ed. McGraw-Hill-Kogakusha, Tokyo, 1963, section 6, p. 66 says: "Horizontal tanks are used where adequate ground or floor area is available. These tanks are usually shop-built and are thus restricted in size to practical shipping limits, usually about 11 to 12 ft. in diameter and 60 ft. in length, although there are larger shop tanks shipped in certain areas of the United States."

Also you can review the EN 12285-2 Factory-manufactured tanks of steel - Part 2: Horizontal cylindrical single and double-walled tanks for the storage of flammable and non-flammable potentially water-polluting liquids above ground.

Napo.