Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Urea Technology Knowhow

urea technology

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 aroobaarooj

aroobaarooj

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:00 AM

Please recommend me any book that is good for in depth know how of urea technology. I am a an ammonia process engineer and recently shifted to urea plant. 

#2 Napo

Napo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

Aroobaarooj,

You can review the following books:

- Ullmann´s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry

- Gopala Rao and Marshall Sitting, Dryden´s outlines of Chemical Technology -For The 21st Century

- G. N. Pandey, A Textbook of Chemical Technology, Volume I

- M. Uppal, S. Bhatia, Engineering Chemisty (Chemical Technology)

Napo.

#3 Saml

Saml

Gold Member

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

I know only one book  about Urea Process:

"Urea, its properties and manufacture" by George Tsei-Yu Chao, printed in 1967, well before modern plants. You will be lucky if you get hold of a copy. 

What you may find in other places are general descriptions of the process.

Urea is particularly challenging since it uses high pressure, it is corrosive, sampling is difficult, instrumentation (specially flow and pressure) are less accurate that in ammonia, and commercial simulators  are not accurate, with the only exception being VMGSim. 

Unfortunately what you ask for, that is, a book that you can read and get a fairly good knowledge about the technology is not yet published. You have to get it in pieces from articles, publications, senior engineers, the operating manual and seeing the plant running.

Another way to learn about Urea plant is by registering in  UreaKnowHow.com (*). I would say that at least half of the people that work in Urea plants have an account there. A few days ago, they published a good comparison between Saipem and Stamicarbon technology.

(*) I have no affiliation with them. It is just my opinion that the site is a good one.