Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Water-Ammonia Heat Exchanger

shell tube heat exchanger

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 csr24

csr24

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:40 AM

Hi,

I am a student and I have to design a shell-tube heat exchanger for an OTEC plant.

the mass flow rate of the ammonia is 215 Kg/s while the water flow rate is 20000 kg/s

the water temperature is 27°C and the ammonia is 23,5°C liquid at the inlet and saturated vapor 23,5°C at the outlet.

I think it is better to put ammonia inside the tubes because it is toxic and the saltwater in the shell because the flow rate is higher than ammonia and fouling should be higher  as well. Moreover, the shell is probably easier to clean, do you think it is a good decision?

#2 srfish

srfish

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

If the ammonia is being 100% vaporized, then the normal type of heat exchanger used is the kettle type. Also saltwater has a fouling factor of 0.002 and the Ammonia 0.001.

#3 Saml

Saml

Gold Member

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:15 AM

Tubes are easier to clean. You remove the cover and high pressure wash. To clean the shell side you need to remove the tube bundle or do a cleaning in place with some cleaning agent (that may be as simple as water or a more complicated sequence of chemicals)

Also, for seawater you may need special metallurgy (titanium, duplex) that is easier/less costly to implement on tube side. 

Ammonia is generally non fouling. However, 100% evaporation will lead to accumulation of small amount of contaminants like oil.

Depending where it is produced, the purity of ammonia, and your process, this may be significant or not. In cases where it is, you provide a way to remove a portion of the boiling liquid as a purge.

I will guess that your process involves a closed ammonia loop, filled with refrigerant grade ammonia,  so this should not be a problem and you may go to a fully welded design on the shell side (N-Type front head) without many concern for contaminants accumulation.

Plaase, be aware that I wrote in potential terms like "may" or  "should". It is you that must study your case, the information you have, and make your design decision.

Edited by Saml, 06 March 2017 - 07:19 AM.

#4 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:23 AM

A shell large enough to handle 20000 kg/s water flow will likely be uneconomical. Consider reducing your water flow rate or submerging your tubes directly in the ocean without a shell.