Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Aspen Edr

aspen plate edr htfs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Mina_4

Mina_4

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

Hello everyone; 

I'm working with Aspen EDR for designing plate heat exchangers. But, the results I get are different from what I calculate based on equations, such as Re number and enlargement factor. Has anyone know that or know anyone that could help?

Any help is truly appreciated.

#2 Nikolay_

Nikolay_

Gold Member

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:08 PM

Hello,

It depends on equations that you used. It's difficult to imagine the geometry, compositions, parameters. What Is your plate exchanger intended for?

#3 Mina_4

Mina_4

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:28 PM

Hello,

It depends on equations that you used. It's difficult to imagine the geometry, compositions, parameters. What Is your plate exchanger intended for?

For instance, I choose M6M (from Alfa Laval) and I know its pressing depth is 3 mm. The Re number equation in plate heat exchanger is :

Re= Rho.Vchannel.De/mu

When I calculate Re and take 2b as equivalent diameter, the answer is far from the result shown. So I changed the way I solve the problem.

First, I divided calculate Re to HTFS Re; Recalculated/ReHTFS >1, and I thought maybe it considers enlargement factor. In other words it uses Dh in Re equation, and Dh in plate heat exchanger is (2.b)/enlargement factor. There are some correlations for calculating this factor. But, it is true for one plate type and for another model like M10M (Alfa Laval), it has great error. What's your opinion? 

Edited by Mina_4, 20 May 2017 - 10:30 PM.

#4 Mahdi1980

Mahdi1980

Gold Member

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:52 AM

Hi Mina,

Please let us know your complete case and known parameters of the process as well as the TEMA sheet of your design  by software. Then attach your own calculation. Having know your data, your problem might be solved.

Regards,

#5 Mina_4

Mina_4

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:07 AM

I have attached an example with software calculation and mine. The part that I've got problem is Re number. And I've pointed out that part. Please check that

Attached File  1.PNG   387.85KB   1 downloadsAttached File  2.PNG   25.67KB   0 downloadsAttached File  3.PNG   64.34KB   0 downloadsAttached File  4.PNG   29.67KB   0 downloadsAttached File  5.PNG   61.87KB   0 downloadsAttached File  6.PNG   35.2KB   0 downloadsAttached File  7.PNG   50.37KB   0 downloadsAttached File  8.PNG   29.88KB   0 downloadsAttached File  9.PNG   35.98KB   0 downloadsAttached File  10.PNG   58.13KB   0 downloadsAttached File  11.PNG   24.58KB   0 downloadsAttached File  12.PNG   33.23KB   0 downloadsAttached File  13.PNG   21.58KB   0 downloadsAttached File  My calculation-1.jpg   75.64KB   0 downloadsAttached File  My calculation-2.jpg   68.33KB   0 downloads

#6 Nikolay_

Nikolay_

Gold Member

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:19 AM

I don't understand your's aim. Do you want to verify EDR method? How did you calculate equivalent diameter for Re? Enlargement factor and relation with Re ...Could you please send reference.Did you calculate Nu?

#7 Mina_4

Mina_4

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:46 AM

I don't understand your's aim. Do you want to verify EDR method? How did you calculate equivalent diameter for Re? Enlargement factor and relation with Re ...Could you please send reference.Did you calculate Nu?

Yes! because I know the EDR's answers are correct and I want to check my calculation. As you might know, equivalent diameter in plate heat exchangers equals to ( 2xb ), where 'b' is the pressing depth. And for enlargement factor, there some relations in papers...The formulas for plate heat exchangers are in the relevant books and papers.

Edited by Mina_4, 23 May 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#8 Nikolay_

Nikolay_

Gold Member

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:23 PM

Could you please to share one? I'm interested the methods of plate exchanger design.

#9 Mina_4

Mina_4

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:40 PM

Could you please to share one? I'm interested the methods of plate exchanger design.

It's better to study some books about PHEs if you don't know much about it.

#10 Mahdi1980

Mahdi1980

Gold Member

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

Mina,

Sorry I am too busy nowadays. I will check your data and com back to you as soon as possible.

Regards

#11 Mina_4

Mina_4

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:12 AM

Mina,

Sorry I am too busy nowadays. I will check your data and com back to you as soon as possible.

Regards

Thank you for the reply. I'll be waiting.