Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Steam Generator-Condenser For A Vacuum Column

condenser

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:07 AM

Hi all,

I need help on the following.

I have  a vacuum column run with overhead pressure of (100-300mbar) and the temperature is  high enough (> 130-150C) to generate low pressure steam. I want to use a steam generator-condenser to recover the overheads heat(to generate low pressure steam) which is currently being just rejected.

for similar applications in other columns which are being run at atmospheric or higher pressure I have seen kettle type condensers being used.

Will such a heat exchanger type work here? aspen EDR simulation indicated acceptable pressure drop (<10%)

when couple of kettles are used in parallel. But I am wondering if something more advanced like  plate exchangers can be used and if so, how can they be simulated? will the large volumes handled(because of low pressure) be an issue?

any useful references on type of proven  condenser-steam generators to be used for such applications are welcome

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:20 AM

And what will you do with the low pressure steam?

Bobby

#3 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

Hi Bobby,some of it can be used as such but a lot of it can be compressed to a higher pressure stream to be used elsewhere in the plant. Compressor+electricity cost needed works out to be economical(pay back <3-4 yrs) when considering the steam cost savings