Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hydrogen Generation In Refineries

10 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ssskharche

ssskharche

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:44 AM

why in most of the refinery we don't produce hyderogen by gasification of coke or from the lpg ?

THANKYOU

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:17 AM

Because either local environmental laws prohibit use of coal or it is not as economical to employ LPG.   In other words, the local value of the LPG is too high to compete as raw material for hydrogen production.

Producers will always use the cheapest raw material that is permitted, in order to maximize their final profit.  

#3 ssskharche

ssskharche

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

thanks sir for reply but sir if the coke is formed itself in the refinery in large quantity then also we cant use it

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

And that is indeed practiced in a few locations, one of which is in the USA. Try Google search.

Bobby

#5 Mahdi1980

Mahdi1980

Gold Member

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

Hi, 

I agree with Art. The availability of raw material is one of the factors. On the other hand the cost of production and the price of product is the other side of the coin which are highly remarkable.

For instance, the gasification of the coke is a process which can be lead to products like Methanol or Olefins which are most applicable materials and very profitable especially olefines ( Propylene or Ethylene) while Hydrogen as a syngas is located in the middle of the process and the IRR of its production at this stage is too low for investment.

Regarding LPG, it is a vital material and it is not logical to convert such a precious substance to hydrogen.

Edited by Mahdi1980, 15 June 2017 - 07:09 PM.

#6 ssskharche

ssskharche

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

THANKS to all sir i got my answer.

#7 ssskharche

ssskharche

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:42 PM

And sir i want to ask that is there any technical problems other than economical that we cannot opt. this methods.

#8 Mahdi1980

Mahdi1980

Gold Member

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

No, I don't think so.

#9 ssskharche

ssskharche

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:07 PM

and also why propane dehyderogenation (PDH) technology for production of propane is not used preferably

#10 Saml

Saml

Gold Member

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:30 PM

Refineries normally have a planning group that have modeled the refinery, the distribution, the logistic at least in a linear model and analyzing the best ways to add the highest value to the oil they are processing with the existing equipment, and the marginal value of adding, revamping, etc, etc different units is their work. So, if the technology is available, there are no regulations that prohibit its use, it is safe, and still is not being used in any refinery you can be almost sure that the reason is economic.

A coke gasification unit costs may times what a methane steam reforming costs.  PDH technology is used to make propylene where you have no availability of a catalytic cracker gases as a source of olefins.  But for producing hydrogen it makes no sense.  In some technologies they even burn the H2 with oxygen to shift the equilibrium towards propylene.

#11 ssskharche

ssskharche

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:51 AM

thank u sir it helped me very much