Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Gear Box B/w Compressor And Steam Turbine

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Riaz01

Riaz01

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:37 PM

Why gear box is placed b/w compressor and steam turbine?? what is benefit??

Riaz 

#2 Saml

Saml

Gold Member

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

Because if you place it on the ends it won't work :-)

Now, going to the point. Designing a turbine and a compressor requires a lot of compromises.

You have to select speed, diameter, staging, etc. Sometimes, you can make a design for both compressor and turbine running at the same speed. However, in many cases the optimum design gives you a different speeds. Modifying the design to have the same speed might be flat out impossible or result in an inefficient/expensive design. In this case, installing a gear box (reducer or multiplier) to match the optimum speed of both turbine and compressor is what makes more sense.

#3 Riaz01

Riaz01

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for reply.

I want to know why some machine compressor and turbine have same speed, and some have placed gear box?? why is advantage and disadvantage?? can any body explain in detail

#4 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:07 PM

Riazo1:

There is no "advantage" to employing a gear reducer on a compressor driver.  There is a NEED for the compressor designer/manufacturer to reduce (or at times, increase) the compressor speed.  In those cases, a gear reducer is sometimes employed as you describe.

Saml explains very well the application with regards to a centrifugal machine.  I have used gear reducers on reciprocating compressors as well.  You seem to be making the assumption that the gear reducer is employed for gaining an advantage - whether economic or efficiency, I don't know.  But that is not the case.