Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pd Pump Discharge Pressure Change

7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ma7ersi

ma7ersi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:24 AM

Dear Sir,

I want to retrofit an existing triplex high pressure pump (PD pump) for another use. However, the existing pump design pressure is 10000 psi and I need only 3000 psi for the new purpose.  Changing pump speed will only change the flowrate and not the discharge pressure.

I want to ask you, if i change the existing pump's motor with another motor with reduced power, can I achieve the required pressure or not.

If not, could someone help me and advise how to achieve this discharge pressure?

Best Reagrds,

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:53 AM

I want to retrofit an existing triplex high pressure pump (PD pump) for another use. However, the existing pump design pressure is 10000 psi and I need only 3000 psi for the new purpose.  Changing pump speed will only change the flowrate and not the discharge pressure.

I want to ask you, if i change the existing pump's motor with another motor with reduced power, can I achieve the required pressure or not.

If not, could someone help me and advise how to achieve this discharge pressure?

Hi,

If for new purpose there is an existing system you are limited by system curve and conditions.

PD pumps are "Constant Flow" machines; hence if the flow rate is specified, draw the relevant pump curve (almost a vertical line in P-Q system) and find the intersection point of pump curve and system curve. This point dictates the pressure you will have in mentioned pump discharge.

#3 ma7ersi

ma7ersi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:38 AM

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply.

Please find attached here avilable vendor's data. The corresponding plunger diameter is 3/4". Thus, the pump discharge pressure is 10000 psi.

We want to use this pump for a new system and we want to limit pump discharge pressure to 3000 psi. Is this feasible or not?

Attached Files

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:05 AM

Hi,

It's the maximum pressure to which the pump can mechanically achieve without any concern due to mechanical damage; and for new system, as I mentioned, you should find the working point by having the pump and system curves in hand...

#5 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:06 AM

Please find attached here avilable vendor's data. The corresponding plunger diameter is 3/4". Thus, the pump discharge pressure is 10000 psi.

We want to use this pump for a new system and we want to limit pump discharge pressure to 3000 psi. Is this feasible or not?

Hi,

It's the maximum pressure to which the pump can mechanically achieve without any concern due to mechanical damage; and for new system, as I mentioned, you should find the working point by having the pump and system curves in hand...

#6 ma7ersi

ma7ersi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:23 AM

Dear Fallah,

Thank you for your reply.

Best regards,

#7 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

One should always perform a vibration/pulsation analysis when using a positive displacement pump. And your case is no exception.

Bobby

#8 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:43 AM

May i know any issue if do nothing to the pump? Just use it. As discharge pressure will be according to discharge system. If required 3000psi, it will react accordingly