Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Oxygen Scavenger Dosing (Boiler Wet Lay-Up Preservation)

oxygen scavenger boiler wet lay-up preservation ph boiler chemistry residual oxygen scavenger oxygen

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 S.win

S.win

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:38 AM

Hi Everyone.

Currently working in a coal fired power plant. As of the moment, the plant is in its commissioning stage and doing some wet lay-up preservation of the feedwater side.

Just would like to ask if dosing of oxygen scavenger has effect on the increase of pH aside from dosing Amine? The commissioining team told us that dosing of oxygen scavenger (carbohydrazide) will help in the increase of pH. I somehow disagree with their notion because as far as what i have read on some literature, dosing of oxygen scavenger only helps remove oxygen which can cause corrosion and pitting while passivating also the metal surface. AND i have also read that too much dosing of scavenger will actually promote copper corrosion at elevated pH due to breakdown of carbohydrazide to ammonia.

The commissioning team in our plant does not even monitor the residual oxygen scavenger which in fact might be critical to copper corrosion. They only check on the specific conductivity for the dosing of amine.

Is this okay or should I say are they doing really the right way where they are dosing Amine and Oxygen Scavenger at the same time and no monitoring of residual Oxygen Scavenger? And will Oxygen Scavenger really increase pH?

I somehow disagree with their explanation and very contradicting to some references from literatures

I hope for a positive feedback to those who will be able to read this.

Thank you

- Win

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:31 AM

Hi ,

use the search engine in this forum , the topic has been discussed several times and consider the link attached :

https://www.suezwate...1_preboiler.jsp

Hope this is helping you.

Breizh

#3 S.win

S.win

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:19 PM

Many thanks breizh. Will look into this.