Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Downstream Loading Arm Pressure

5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 CS10

CS10

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am working on calculating what is the pressure at the outlet nozzle of the top loading arm to NGL road tanker.

I have done the caclulation using HYSYS to determine the pressure at the inlet nozzle (N1) of loading arm. But, I don't know what is the pressure left at loading arm outlet nozzle (N2) connected to the tanker since there is no Isometric drawings to get the data (i.e. length, elevation, fittings)

How can I calculate the pressure at outlet nozzle (N2) of the top loading arm?

I know the flow rates and the total piping pressure drop until N1 from HYSYS model. Can I calculate the pressure at outlet nozzle (N2)???

Please see the loading arm sketch

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

Edited by CS10, 06 November 2017 - 12:08 AM.

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

Where the outlet nozzle of the loading arm meets the road tanker, the pressure will be the same as the road tanker. How can you calculate pressure at N1 without knowing the pressure at N2? Work backwards: recalculate pressure at N1 based on pressure at N2. Location of control valves matter to your calcs. Consider the effect of flashing liquid.

#3 CS10

CS10

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:01 AM

Thanks Pilesar

The pressure at N1 is calculated from the Hydraulic model from transfer piping (until N1 connection), the pressure at the end of transfer piping connect to N1, I considered as N1 pressure which is ~4.5 barg.

I believe there should be some pressure drop across the loading arm and will reduce the N2 pressure. Can I calculate the N2 pressure (with knowing the N1 pressure and the flow rates)?

#4 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:44 AM

CS10 asks 'Can I calculate the N2 pressure (with knowing the N1 pressure and the flow rates)?'

Unfortunately, you do not know the pressure at N1 because you calculated it incorrectly. The pressure at N2 is the road tanker pressure. I find I am repeating myself. Maybe someone else can explain it with more clarity. Good luck.

#5 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:26 AM

CS10,

By studying how the road tanker is filled will determine the pressure in the road tanker (N2).  Is it a closed system?  What is the pressure when filling is started?  What is the pressure when filling has ended?  Is it an open system?  Is the road tanker vented back to the NGL tank?  You must first determine (or obtain data, if existing) the pressure in the road tanker while filling.  That pressure in the road tanker is the resisting, downstream pressure that must be overcome to enable flow of NGL.  Once you know the pressure in the road tanker (N2) and the pressure drop caused by NGL flow, you can calculate pressure at loading arm inlet (N1).  As Pilesar said work backwards, from downstream to upstream.

#6 CS10

CS10

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:50 PM

Thanks PileSar and latexman for your advise

My apology for the confusion due to my wrong steps for the calculation. I will try to recalculate the Pressure using backward calculation from N2 to N1.