Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Calculate Shell Side Heat Transfer Coefficient

heat exchanger

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 DaleBrewster

DaleBrewster

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:26 AM

Hello, I'm trying to come up with a method on excel to calculate the required surface area for a heat exchanger for a desired output temperature for a fluid (which can either be a gas or a liquid). I have a lot of familiarity with Heat Exchangers, especially  concentric shell and tube.

However, I'm fairly confused about how you calculate the heat transfer coefficient for the shell side fluid. I know that for the tube side, the overall flowrate is divided by the number of tubes to get the individual flowrate in each tube and that is used for calculating the internal heat transfer coefficient in the tubes, my main issue is how to calculate the heat transfer coefficient for the shell side as I don't know what equations to use.

I have done calculations in University that dealt with fluid flow over tube banks but I'm not sure how closely that relates to my problem.

Also, how much would the equations/ method change depending on if its a liquid or a gas such as steam or alcohol vapour. If someone could show me some example calculations for calculating the heat exchange between two fluids in a shell and tube heat exchanger with a bundle of straight tubes I would be very grateful. 

I'm looking through Fundamentals of Heat and Mass transfer by Incropera and Dewitt, but in all examples heat transfer coefficient is given and not shown how to calculate for the heat exchangers. 

I'd greatly appreciate if someone could tell me the method used and could supply me with some recommend texts with worked out examples and calculations. 

Thank you

Dale Brewster

#2 srfish

srfish

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 408 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

Check out that old standard "Process Heat Transfer" by Kern.

Edited by srfish, 26 November 2017 - 06:19 PM.

#3 HJSN1994

HJSN1994

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:38 AM

"Process Heat Transfer" by Kern is the best reference 

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:32 PM

hi ,

a few documents to support .. Of course Kern is a must have !

hope this is helping

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 30 November 2017 - 06:58 AM.

#5 DaleBrewster

DaleBrewster

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:31 AM

Thank you guys very much for the help, it has cleared up a lot of things. 

Reply to this topic