Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Conversion Of Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) To Sulphur Dioxide (So2)

h2s so2 clauss sulphur h2so4 sulphuric acid so3 hydrogen sulphide sulphur dioxide

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 minchin

minchin

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:39 AM

Hello everyone,

Can someone give some advice on which process to chose to convert H2S to SO2.

My H2S gas stream has about 90% H2S and about 7% CO2 by volume. There are several other hydrocarbons (upto C3) in the stream as well, some amount of COS is also present.

I read about the Claus process but I believe that it focusses on converting to elemental sulphur. My main motive is to get SO2 so I can use SO2 to produce H2SO4.

Is direct burning of H2S to SO2 possible at such high volume % of H2S in the gas stream. How much conversion is possible?? Can we avoid formation of elemental sulphur? 

Are there any other options?? (total molar flow rate of the stream is somewhere between 700-750 kgmole/hr.)

Edited by minchin, 21 January 2018 - 12:26 PM.

#2 ammar1985

ammar1985

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

Hi minchin
(SO) gas produced from combustion of the H2S and then can use ozone to produce the SO2 gas
SO + O3 »»» SO2 + O2

I hope that's useful for you

#3 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

Haldor Topsoe markets a wet sulfuric acid process whereby H2S is burned with air, with excess oxygen.  The prevents the formation of elemental sulfur.  The initial combution makes SO2, and then a catalyst bed (noble metal) oxidizes SO2 to SO3.  This is then condensed with the water produced from the H2S combustion to form H2SO4.