Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Compressor Intercooler

1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SadiqChemy

SadiqChemy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:46 PM

Can Anybody tell me what TEMA configuration usually used for design of Air Compressor intercooler . The coolant is water .

I found some intercoolers with headers and fin tubes inside the shell . How that is modeled ? What kind of fins are used ? High fins , continuous fins ?

Edited by SadiqChemy, 07 February 2018 - 08:13 AM.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

sadiq:

Are you a student or a recent graduate in engineering?  The reason for asking is that your query is very basic and devoid of signs of heat transfer knowledge.  Since this Forum is not the Student Forum, our members have problems in communicating with persons that lack the necessary experience and knowledge at their level because we don’t educate or teach engineering; we exchange and contribute experience and knowledge.

Every practicing engineer should know that fins are added surface area to heat transfer tubes on the side that fluids have a very low heat transfer coefficient - such as gases.  The number, quality, configuration, and type usually depend on a variety of applications that vary with fluid quality, temperatures, costs, space, configuration, access, etc., etc.  You either know you require or would like to have fins.  For example, if you are cooling with atmospheric air (which you are not), then you most likely are forced to use fins on the atmospheric side to reduce size.

Compressor water-cooled intercoolers are usually mundane and of simple construction and configuration.  Their scope of work is simple: cool the gas and condense the related water moisture usually associated with the gas.  I have used, designed and constructed a lot of water-cooled intercoolers for many compressed gases and never used fins.  The loads never justified the fins.  I can visualize that very large air capacities on centrifugal compressors may merit the use of fins on the air side, but I never got an application that big.

I’ve used plain coils immersed in water boxes, TEMA type units with gas in shell or gas in tubes, compact, spiral coil types, and even some double-pipe types.  It all depends on the type and capacity of the involved compressor and the type of gas.  I’ve never seen anything with “headers” inside the shell.  Please submit a photo or drawing of what you describe.  Why are you trying to “model” the design?  Isn’t a one-time calculation enough if you have a need or application on an existing compressor?  Our members would appreciate a full and detailed explanation of what you are trying to do.  A standard and routine data sheet would be a great help to our experienced members in trying to answer your queries.