Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Fluid Package For Heating Oil In Hysys

heating oil fluid package hysys marlotherm therminol steam generation thermal oil heat transfer oi

5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 rpaga

rpaga

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

Hello, I need to simulate in HYSYS a steam generation system using a commercial type of heating oil like MarlothermSH or Therminol66. Selected components are the heating oil (always 100% liquid phase) and water (100% liquid at boiler input and saturated steam at boiler output).

What is the correct Fluid Package to be used in this case? Thanks all for your help!

Edited by rpaga, 21 February 2018 - 08:33 AM.

#2 Dazzler

Dazzler

Gold Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:31 AM

Hello rpaga, 

I would start with PR.  The streams are separate ( ie HC not mixed with water) so that should make it easier for the prop package.

Hopefully you can find a typical thermal fluid already in the component library of the Hysys, but there may not be many of them.

Dazzler

#3 rpaga

rpaga

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:02 AM

Hi Dazzler, I tried with PR and the simulation results look reasonable compared to the oil property table from heating oil manufacturer. I would be interested to know how does PR work, to better assess if it's suitable to simulate this case. Do you know where to find this sort of information?

Thanks,

rpaga

#4 serra

serra

Gold Member

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:40 AM

since you do not need phase equilibria (but only properties for liquid phase, specific heat for energy balance and viscosity for pressure drop)  probably a table of values or regular model (with values from database for Therminol® 66 or similar fluids could be a good alternative,

a EOS such as PR requires (pseudo) critical properties etc. which may be available for these fluids, see for example

https://www.thermino...ts/Therminol-66

but normally predicted values for liquid phase are not very accurate...

#5 rpaga

rpaga

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

... table of values or regular model ...

Hi serra, what do you mean by "table of values or regular model"? Is that something that I can create in Hysys?

#6 serra

serra

Gold Member

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:14 AM

the cp values calculated with Peng Robinson EOS for liquid phase may not be accurate, the same for liquid density and other properties in liquid phase,  there are many threads discussing these limits, see also textbooks as Properties of Gases and Liquids,

there are many variants, I know Aspen PRSV, Prode PRX etc.

you may still adopt std. Peng Robinson (after some tests)  or assembly a custom package, for example with regular model (meaning values from database) for liquid cp, density etc.

most simulators allow to assembly custom packages (i.e. mixing different models for fugacity, enthalpy, volume etc.),

you may read the operating manual for detailed instruction, in the operating manual you may also find a description of Peng Robinson EOS and maybe the limits of application,